Soul render command aborts with an exception

I’m evaluating soul and it seems i can’t render its output:

Building: /Users/kraken/soul/test.soul
libc++abi.dylib: terminating with uncaught exception of type soul::AbortCompilationException
Abort trap: 6

The same patch works fine when using the play command or via web playground.

Any ideas ?

Hmm, that’s odd - can you share the patch so we can debug it?

it’s really the nokia ringtone you have as first example in the playground, nothing different:

$ soul render --length=2 --output=test.wav ringtone.soul
Building: /Users/kraken/soul/ringtone.soul
libc++abi.dylib: terminating with uncaught exception of type soul::AbortCompilationException
Abort trap: 6

do you have some sort of CI validating the commits you do or it’s just cheese and marmelade ? :joy:

i tried every combination of length, rate and patches. it always abort rendering, while playing is fine.

no news about this?

is there a way to easily render a soul patch without setting up a whole application?

Well, you don’t have to use the juce project, you can just use the cpp + header files for the patch class in some other app.

Or if you want the bare-bones c++ rendering code, use the --cpp option instead of --juce and it won’t do all the extra stuff.

generating the --cpp code only i will be able to get a standalone commandline app able to render a patch to an audio file ?

anyway having a working render command in the command line tools would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Sorry, I only read the last message in this thread, I thought you were asking about the code gen.

Slightly unfair that you got the chance to poke fun at our lack of testing there, because the command-line render function was actually one of the last remaining corners that we hadn’t got a CI test for! (Ces gets very obsessive about testing things so he has been making sure we have one now).

So yeah, we have a fix but have some other stuff to finish before we do another release build, so will be a couple of days probably.

i always poke fun when i get the chance :smile: sorry

let me know when you have something ready. thanks for letting me know !