Submit your tutorial requests

tutorials

How to effectively build static / dynamic libraries, especially for iOS and Android.

Oh… and one more thing. How about a tutorial on how to get my first 10 million paying customers? That would be great thanks.

A tutorial about the LassoComponent (or selecting Components) would be nice. I know, you can see the usage in the Projucer-Code, but I think, there is nothing wrong about making an example, that is clearly arranged and only represents the necessary and basic things.

+1 This is amazing @noahdayan, thank you :pray:

I’ll echo Rail and Adamski: OpenGL tutorial for a scope/analyzer or creative visual effects would be wonderful.

Although it is not directly JUCE-related, it would be useful to have a tutorial on how to use the debugger in the common IDEs, especially when dealing with plugin builds. People regularly appear here on the forum not even knowing what a debugger is.

There must be YouTube videos showing how to use the Xcode and Visual Studio debugger already.

Rail

Probably, but JUCE has at least the quirk of having the multiple IDE projects for the shared code and the plugin formats, which might need some explaining on how to work with.

I think for a lot of newbies coming to JUCE it’s not quite clear what topics are JUCE-related, IDE-related or C+±related. So although there might be YouTube videos on certain topics, they might not be found. I remember a guy recently saying that he got no google results for the JUCE-Debugger.
So I think a few tutorials that are clearly marked as “Not JUCE-only but necessary skills when building Plugins/Applications” containing things like the debugger topic might help a lot.

Debugging/Profiling tutorial would be helpful.
As a noob took me far too long to realise how to see the DBG output in xcode, as for profiling I’m still clueless!

How to do Single-Compilation-Units (or unity builds), aka how does the JUCE Module format work and why do we do it that way?

I’ve since figured that out, but it would be a great tutorial to have

A tutorial on making menus of different types would be great.

how many types of menus are there? popup and menubar? what else is there?

Sure, but as far as I can tell there’s no tutorials for any kind of menus. Also how to tell a menu to update itself if an item becomes checked etc.

Study the juceDemo, it has a very standard example of how to create menus, menu bars, and popup menus

It’s not that I don’t know how to do it, I just think it would be a useful tutorial because it’s a pretty common feature to want in an app.

I could be mistaken, but I’m sure they’re looking for tutorial ideas that the example projects included with the Juce git repo don’t already demonstrate. The source code for ProJucer and juceDemo are included in the repo and they both have awesome examples of 3D rendering, popup windows, menus, multi-threading, saving/loading, streaming from URLs, etc. If someone isn’t sure how to accomplish something on their own project, those source files should be the first place to look for an idea of how to proceed.

Ok I guess you know better

The code for ProJucer and JuceDemo are indeed full of examples. However, they are also packed full of code that often has nothing to do with what you are trying to learn.

To many, it is easier to learn from isolated, specific examples. So, I would vote for individual tutorials on any topic that will be helpful to the learning effort.

https://docs.juce.com/master/classPopupMenu.html#details has a pretty excellent example for popup menu creation, which is what the MenuBarComponent displays when you click on a menu title. The popupMenu that the MenuBarComponent displays is provided by the MenuBarModel instance passed to the MenuBarComponent.

regarding ticks for individual menu items:

void PopupMenu::addItem ( int itemResultID,
   const String & 	itemText,
   bool 	isEnabled = true,
   bool 	isTicked = false 
)	

for the isTicked parameter, just do something like this:

myMenu.addItem( idNumber,  //itemResultID
   "menuItemDisplayText",  //itemText
   true, //isEnabled
   someConditional == desiredValueToShowTick ? true : false //isTicked
);