The removal of JUCE’s embedded VST2 SDK

:+1:

I agree, it would be the best option to have a new global path entry to set the VST2 path

https://github.com/WeAreROLI/JUCE/commit/fe49d69dfc9f2cc0755fce34e7b1bc63916f910a

I’ve added a global path setting for the VST2 SDK. You’ll need to re-build the Projucer after pulling this commit and it should be available.

Hello @ed95 ! Thanks, that’s perfect this way.

Last question : if I want to use the VST3 SDK inside the JUCE SDK, what I need to do is to replace the custom VST3 path entry with an empty path right ?

Yup, just leave that path empty and the embedded JUCE VST3 SDK will be used.

If you download from here https://www.steinberg.net/vst3sdk you will find the VST2 SDK is still contained within (was last time I checked a few days ago at least), BUT I think now the deadline has passed for getting a VST2 license to distribute, so you wouldn’t legally be allowed to do that.

Sorry, but I was mistaken about the VST2 SDK being in there. There are files that look like they are VST2 SDK, but the files that are needed aren’t in fact distributed any more. Basically, you’re SooL now if you want to support VST2 and didn’t get in before the deadline last year. :frowning:

Gotta say, and I understand Steinberg needs to move things on, but removing official VST2 support before one of the major DAW providers had VST3 support was kinda dickish. Of course, maybe Steinberg had been telling them for a while this was going to happen and they ignored them, but it seems the only people losing out from this are the devs, not any of the major companies involved in these choices.

Yeah, and Ableton users who won’t be able to run any plugins by newer devs (unless via a VST -> AU wrapper).
I’m guessing that the plugins that come bundled with Live are of a format specific to them, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they open it up to 3rd parties in the near future, which would mean another format to support for us. :confused:

Surely it can’t be that difficult for Ableton to finally come up with the VST3 support pretty soon? The JUCE VST3 hosting code has about 3200 lines of code, so it seems it isn’t an absolutely huge problem to solve…(Of course ironing out all the bugs and corner cases can take time…)

It’s been 10 years since VST3 was released, 1 year and 3 major versions of Live later and still naught.

In the meantime maybe some of us could hack a vst3 to vst2 adapter using juce… or does the stuff we had to sign prohibit us from doing that?

I don’t think it’s disallowed but it would need to be done by a developer who has managed to get their VST2 license application accepted in time. But I don’t think it’s necessarily that a great idea, it would really be about patching a problem Ableton doesn’t apparently want to deal with.

It would need to be published by a dev with the agreement, no reason somebody without it couldn’t do it and have somebody else publish on their behalf.

It would seem the VST2 is the only way to build VST midi plugins with JUCE at this time. I will figure out how to target an older version of JUCE. Hopefully my license works …

The most recent JUCE works just fine to build VST2 plugins. But you will need to have the needed VST2 SDK files and point Projucer to them. And of course, if you are planning to release a VST2 product, you need the signed agreement from Steinberg, which you no longer can get…

edit : and of course the VST2 license thing applies even if you use an older version of JUCE!

Took a while to figure this out …
I tried this :
First I trashed my JUCE folders …
then

$git clone https://github.com/WeAreROLI/JUCE

then

$git fetch origin master fe49d69dfc9f2cc0755fce34e7b1bc63916f910a

I then rebuilt the projucer in Xcode.
still this error in xcode.
‘pluginterfaces/vst2.x/aeffect.h’ file not found
then I added the path to the VST sdk’s in “extra library paths” of the exporter in the projucer.
I think that sorted it.
Sean

edit : nevermind…