Thousands of useful app icons with Metro Studio

Hello,

I just came across this free tool for Windows called Metro Studio 3. Basically, it's a collection of over 4000 useful icons that you'll probably use in an application and a simple editor for editing and exporting them. It's free and all the icons are royalty free, so you can use them in commercial apps. It literally has just about every icon you'd ever need in your application. Many of them are well known icons that people would recognize right away. For instance, the Display-Brightness, Drag 01, Favorites, Folder, File, Download, Mic-03, etc. icons are some that you'd recognize anywhere.

Take a look at this link to browse the icons:
http://www.syncfusion.com/downloads/metrostudio/iconpackage/application

The editor is really basic and might not be good enough for what you want, but you could easily export the unedited image as any format you want (png, jpg, ico, svg, XAML, etc.) and edit it in something like Gimp or Photoshop. The editor only lets you change the background and the icon color (the whole icon), so that's not very good for some icons. They're so basic and they come in black and white with transparency, so you can easily add color in an image editor.

Anyways, I hope this helps some of you guys that uses Windows, or at least owns Windows. I'm extremely happy I found this because I can think of so many times where this will benefit me. I don't have to spend time trying to make icons in Gimp that don't look too great. This has just about everything I need and they're all "standard" so people will know what they are. The first thing that pops in my mind is how great it'll be for making icons on a toolbar.

Here's the link to the download:
http://www.syncfusion.com/downloads/metrostudio

- Jordan

Thanks for the heads up on this. I started using danlin's FontAwesome wrapper, that comes with a good set of standard icons. There is also IcoMoon which has a wider selection, I was thinking of making a wrapper for that too.

Will check this Metro Studio thing out too at some point although I am on Mac, I need to set up a Windows VM at some point anyhow. 

yes

It has a huge selection of nice icons. I'll be using them for a lot of things. Those are the type of icons I just wouldn't want to make myself. Like it doesn't need any creativity or anything, it just needs to have a recognizable image. You know, for things like copy, paste, loading, document, download, and things like that. Having all of these is a big time saver for me. I'd rather spend that time on other parts of an app. Of course I'll still have to use some editor (GIMP) for adding some color, but that doesn't take much time or creativity.

I would recommend using SVGs or font icons wherever possible so you can easily support different screen sizes and resolutions. 

I've been wanting to try using SVGs in JUCE. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Are there any examples around that use it for something?

Metro Studio can export these as SVGs and its probably not too hard to add color with something like Inkscape. I have Inkscape, but I haven't gotten around to using it much. I use to mess around with 3D modeling in Blender and I just used it to convert images to SVGs. This might be a good reason to learn some of the basics though. 

If you take a look at the 2D rendering section in the JUCE Demo, there is an SVG example.

Hope this helps!

Ahh thanks man! That definitely helps. I'll have to go look at that. I really need to read the JUCE Demo more. I do reference quite a bit when I need something and I know it's in the demo, but I definitely need to just read it in my spare time and see what it's using and how it's using it. 

Shoot, I was working on a painting app just for practice and experience and I pretty much did a copy/paste with the colored button that opens a color selector in a CallOutBox. Of course I made some modifications to fit my needs, but it was great having what I needed right there in the JUCE Demo. I had never used a CallOutBox then so it was great to also see how that can be used . Now that I mention that, I needed to add it to my personal "library" of custom JUCE classes. 

The JUCE demo is a wonderful thing. It's also useful if you want to test whether your proposed changes (should you ever make any, I encourage you to contribute!) break part of JUCE, since it consists of so many components.