Timers with Littlefoot

Hi

I’m an absolute beginner with Blicks dev and Littlefoot. I’m very excited with the possibilities of Littlefoot but I am missing the key feature of setting a timer, for instance after a touch event.

I see that the repaint() function is called each 40ms, so it could be used to trigger time-related tasks. However, if I need more precise control, I can think of a couple of alternatives:

• Custom programmable timers
  • Or otherwise, a more frequently called function (like each 10ms).

Is there any hack that can get me any of features?

Javier

0 Likes

For creating custom timers, you can use getMillisecondCounter() and getTimeInCurrentFunctionCall() functions, see Littlefoot Docs.

As for more frequently called functions, I don’t think it is possible in Littlefoot.

0 Likes

Thanks @AnthonyAlfimov. Can you provide an example. I’ve googled and found nothing. What comes to mind is using them in a loop. But that wouldn’t be very elegant. Can they be used to invoke a callback at a given count?

0 Likes

I might be missing something, but I don’t think there are more elegant solutions to this.

Anything time-related hinges on repaint() and has to be called from it. Unfortunately, if you want a callback at a specific timer count, the only way is to check getMillisecondCounter() inside repaint(). If you want finer time resolution than 25Hz at which repaint() is called, all I can think of is using a loop inside repaint(), like you suggested.

As for time-related examples, check out the little stopwatch script that I made and the step sequencer script with internal clock from this article.

0 Likes

Thanks @AnthonyAlfimov. DO you know if there is any possibility of calling c++ o JUCE libraries from Littlefoot?

0 Likes

If you are writing a self-contained Littlefoot script that runs entirely on a Block, then no.

However, you can create a JUCE application which will run on a desktop/mobile device and communicate with the Block. Check out examples in DemoRunner under the “BLOCKS” category and the docs.

0 Likes