Undeclared kAudioUnitProperty_NickName in AUBase.cpp

probably needs some #if (MAC_OS_X_VERSION_MIN_REQUIRED > MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_8) around

It's an Apple file, not a JUCE one.. Are you building for 10.6? If so, is that the only change needed to make it work?

> It's an Apple file, not a JUCE one.

yes I know, but you included it in juce_audio_plugin_client! (so right now, JuceDemoPlugin won't build)

This change seems enough to make it work

Thanks, but is it 10.6 that you're using, or 10.7?

We've had some reports that this doesn't work in 10.6, but are none of us here can find a 10.6 machine to test it... It'd be really helpful if someone using 10.6 could let us know what's needed to fix this!

And presumably a better fix would actually be for us to add a define for kAudioUnitProperty_NickName, e.g.

enum { kAudioUnitProperty_NickName = 54 };

?

ah, no, I'm not on 10.6 sorry

I’m seeing the same in Xcode 5.1.1 and OSX 10.8.5

Perhaps there’s a newer version of AudioUnitProperties.h where it’s added to the enum already? The version of AU I had kAudioUnitProperty_NickName wasn’t used.

A Google search led to this:

where it’s equal to 54.

Rail

Yes, it's defined in later versions of the framework, that's not the problem.

My question is to people who are still trying to build against older pre-10.8 versions of CoreAudio: in order to get it all to build, is it sufficient for us to add just that one symbol definition, or are there other errors too?

I created a new test plugin using IJ in 10.8.5 and it compiled fine once I added the definition to AudioUnitProperties.h using a base SDK of 10.7 and there were no errors.

I also tested on the old Mac Pro running 10.7.5 and Xcode 4.6.3 and it built without errors.

Rail

Ok, thanks for the info!

I'll add that definition, and I guess if anyone else is using even older versions then they'll let us know!

Using a base SDK 10.6 does generate errors though…

Right click and open the image in a new tab to enlarge.

Rail

Maybe stupid question, why you are using such an old base SDK? Why not using the latest SDK, with OSX compatibilty version 10.6 ?

Because Jules asked me to test it.

I usually use 10.7 which is required for RTAS

Rail

The general sentiment here at juce HQ is that supporting 10.6 is crazy these days, and that even if you do, you should use a later SDK with backwards compatibility mode. But I know there are still people out there who for whatever reason insist on using the 10.6 SDK <sigh..>

Agreed… You can’t even target anything lower than 10.7 if you use the C++11 std lib. (libc++)

Rail

Sean asked "What OS are you using in late 2014?" on kvr last december : http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5960770

I thought it was interesting.