Unique identifiers for duplicate MIDI devices

Making all the MIDI classes ID-based is something we were talking about adding last week - should be appearing soon.

1 Like

That’s great to hear!

Is it likely to be coming soon in a few days or a few weeks?

I’m also running into this issue - duplicate MIDI endpoint device get ‘confused’ when referencing by name. Looking forward for an update on this :slight_smile: In the meantime thanks for the tip on MIDIGetSource().

We’re still working on it. Still coming “soon”. Sorry I can’t be more specific.

We’ve added support for ID-based JUCE MIDI devices to the develop branch in commit 09ebd1d.

We’ve soft-deprecated the old index-based MIDI device methods getDevices(), getDefaultDeviceIndex() and openDevice (int) and replaced them with ID-based methods. The static getAvailableDevices() method will return an Array<MidiDeviceInfo> where MidiDeviceInfo is a struct containing the device name and a platform-specific device identifier which you can pass into openDevice() to open a MidiInput or MidiOutput device. This should allow you to differentiate between identical MIDI devices and fix issues with random duplicate device orders. The MidiDemo example has also been updated to show how to use this new API.

Please give it a try and post any feedback in this thread.

4 Likes

Thanks Ed, this is great news.
I should be able to give this a try next week, and will let you know how I get on.

I started to test this and in the process realized that it may not completely solve my specific issue.
I am trying to make sure that when identical Audio(with Midi) devices are found that the Audio device manager and Midi devices found can always be matched together so I am sending MIDI to the correct device. Osx Midi studio seems to be persistent and screw up which MIDI dev I talk to as multiple devices are added, removed and re-added.

Is there a straight forward way (that does not rely on names) to make sure a particular MIDI endpoint found belongs to the same physical Audio device ?

I’m not really sure what you mean here when you say “Audio(with Midi)” devices - audio devices and MIDI devices are treated separately at the software level and I can’t see how you’d tie the two together. Can you expand a bit on what you are trying to achieve? Perhaps posting some code would help to clarify.

I’ll try dilute to a specific example.

" audio devices and MIDI devices are treated separately at the software level and I can’t see how you’d tie the two together"
Yes that’s the issue I’d like to see how to work around…

For example: If I have two PreSonus Studio 2|4 devices available in a system for my JUCE app to discover how can I make sure that the Audio Device Manager and MIDI device selected within JUCE belong to the same physical device?

Having the same issue myself! It is also important that the same device connected via Bluetooth or USB can be distinguished.

Edit: The above fix on the develop branch works perfectly for me! I need to be able to support multiple instances of the same “Device” via USB or BLE (since the device can be run wired or wirelessly). Switched to using getAvailableDevices() and everything works like expected.

Finally poking at this. One thing that’s not clear looking at the code/docs (so far; sorry if I’ve missed this) – are the device identifiers constant across time, or e.g. only unique until the next power cycle on this machine?

What should I persist to file so a user can re-connect in/outs correctly?

1 Like

Unfortunately this isn’t mentioned in any of the platform docs either… From some quick testing with macOS it does seem that the IDs persist, but I’m not sure about other platforms.

Thanks for checking…

Shouldn’t the relevant methods in AudioDeviceManager also be updated to use device IDs instead of names? All of:

• setMidiInputEnabled()
  • isMidiInputEnabled()
  • addMidiInputCallback()
  • removeMidiInputCallback()
  • setDefaultMidiOutput()

…are using device names, not IDs.

Yes you’re right, although it’s a little more tricky than just changing those methods to use IDs as that’ll silently break all the code that uses these methods. We’ll need to add new methods for ID-based MIDI devices and softly deprecate the old ones.

1 Like

Excellent – something to look at over the upcoming long weekend here in the US!

Are there any plans to implement something similar for audio devices? I found this old thread but it was never resolved.

Hi folks,

Same question as @pdesantis! Are there any plans to implement something similar for audio devices?
@jules @t0m @ed95

Nowadays there can be two audio devices with the same name (i.e. creating two Aggregate Devices with the same name using the Audio MIDI Setup) and they can’t be recognized one from the other.

Thanks

For what it’s worth, using encapsulated identifier classes for purposes like this is probably the best way to ensure future changes won’t break existing code.

I’m using identifier classes for referencing all kinds of objects persistently. Some boil down to simple strings or numbers, others use combinations of strings, numbers and bit sets.