Void pointer functions access violation

If I understood the documentation correctly this function adds a callback function on the message thread MessageManager::callFunctionOnMessageThread . Trying to test it out I always get an access violation. What am I doing wrong.
indent preformatted text by 4 spaces void* callback(void* ptr) { Logger::writeToLog("Callback\n"); return ptr; } void handleAsyncUpdate() override { void *userData = "test\n"; MessageManager::getInstance()->callFunctionOnMessageThread(static_cast<MessageCallbackFunction*>(callback(userData)), userData); } //The access violation is here when it reutrn func(parameter) if (isThisTheMessageThread()) return func (parameter);

You’re not supposed to invoke the callback while calling callFunctionOnMessageThread. Notice how the function is passed directly, and not invoked here:

MessageManager::getInstance()->callFunctionOnMessageThread(callback, userData);

Also, I’m surprised it actually compiled without errors (or at least warnings). What compiler are you using?

I’m using visual studio 2015 community and Xcode not at the same though. This was on vs 2015. Thanks. I recognize your username on kvr on my discussion there about hosts and Computer midi keyboards.

Ah yes, that thread. Anyway, if your function were to return any other pointer type than void *, it would not have compiled, it seems.

You are calling callback with userData and static casting its return value to a function pointer - which it isn’t - it’s a pointer to userData. Normally, you could not static cast a pointer to a function pointer - the only exception is void pointers. Hence, you are not getting a compiler error.

For the future:

1. never use void pointers
  2. don’t mess around with casting pointers to function pointers. Usually a recipe for disaster

Have a look at the CallbackMessage class.