Why are my JUCE programs being flagged as viruses?

I’ve tried a couple of times now to upload a simple JUCE program (executable, Windows) to my website (see this thread), but each time it gets flagged as a virus :?. I’ve tried with a couple of different JUCE programs I made, but the same thing happens. This doesn’t happen with my non-JUCE programs - does anyone know what’s going on?

• Niall.

Evidently something in the JUCE code is similiar enough to some thumbprint of a known virii or worm that the virus checker is trapping it as a flase positive.

This is not uncommon at all. Take this story from the reg from a few days back :

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/08/mcafee_ispwizard_snafu/

just wrap your exes up as zips and it’ll most likely defeat the virus checker. Otherwise, turn off virus protection in your website config.

:roll: They were in zips :?. I’ll have to have a look at the settings, but I’m not sure my host gives me the option of turning off the virus checker. Hmm…

• Niall.

CPanel 9 Pro should offer an option to disable the virus check. I’m not so sure about CPanel 9

Even if your Cpanel doesn’t offer the option to kill the virus killer, your host can do it manually - email their support department and explain the situation.

I have to admit I’m not particularly knowledgeable about web stuff, but having taken a look, I seem to be using CPanel 7?

It doesn’t really matter at the moment, as I don’t have any JUCE programs which are ready for proper distribution, but if my host thinks they’re viruses, doesn’t that mean that users who downloaded them might get the same message from their virus checkers? That seems like a pretty major issue to me :? - I’m not too happy about telling users to disable their virus checker in order to run my programs…

• Niall.

I doubt your users will.

For a start, they’d need to be running the same anti virus software with teh same definitions as your web host.

Look at it this way: Tracktion is built on JUCE, and you don’t see many users reporting Tracktion setting off virus alarms.

If you are sure your PC is virus free, and you scan the exes before uploading and they check out as clean, I’d say the issue is entirely with your host.

As for CPanel, the login on your site said V9. If it is V7, they have a curious install setup. I’m pretty sure the virus checker control exists only for V9 Pro though.

[quote=“valley”]I doubt your users will.

For a start, they’d need to be running the same anti virus software with teh same definitions as your web host.

Look at it this way: Tracktion is built on JUCE, and you don’t see many users reporting Tracktion setting off virus alarms.

If you are sure your PC is virus free, and you scan the exes before uploading and they check out as clean, I’d say the issue is entirely with your host.

As for CPanel, the login on your site said V9. If it is V7, they have a curious install setup. I’m pretty sure the virus checker control exists only for V9 Pro though.[/quote]
Fair enough, like I said I’m not particularly knowledgeable about these matters (I was going by the version on the help file because I couldn’t see it elsewhere). I realised about Tracktion after my last post - I guess it’s not something to worry too much about.

• Niall.