I did in fact get my program working nicely for the Mac, mod the problems I’ve related before.
I went back and rebuild it for Windows - it starts - but then appears to be deadlocked. An earlier build worked fine on Windows. It seems that Win32ComponentPeer::setTitle calls the Windows functions SetWindowText - and this function never returns (and therefore the MessageManagerLock is held forever) - at least, when I use the “Break All” command in Visual Studio 2010, my startup thread always seems to be stuck right there.
Unfortunately, we don’t have a Windows developer in-house any more and I haven’t managed to figure out how this could be - I’m a Windows newbie.
Any hints on how to debug this very gratefully accepted. The application isn’t terminally broken, because it works fine on Mac, and an earlier incarnation with a very similar codebase worked fine on Visual Studio 2010. Of course, a deadlock due to my bad code could easily appear in one system and never in another…