Accessibility: focus containers

Hi everyone,

What’s the way to switch between focus containers with Narrator/Voice Over enabled? I currently haven’t found a way to do it on my juce-develop based project where I have two main components set as focus containers with:

setFocusContainerType (FocusContainerType::focusContainer);

and

setAccessible (true) ;

These two component-containers have multiple child components.

Is the possibility to switch between focus containers something JUCE provides or does it need to be implemented from scratch? Maybe with a focus traverser?

Thanks!

1 Like

I think you can see an example for what you mean in AccessibilityDemo on the Custom Navigation tab.

It’s probably important to use setTitle() and setDescription(). Then Voice Over will just move between the containers and you need to use VO + Shift + Down/Up to move into and out of the containers.

Thanks @attila, this works just fine on Mac.

What would be the corresponding set of shortcuts on Windows? Thanks

Sadly I couldn’t find a way to do this in either Narrator or NVDA. Narrator does move onto the focus container components and reads them first before descending into them, but there doesn’t seem to be a shortcut to jump between siblings in the UI Automation tree.

Thanks for checking @attila . Bummer this doesn’t work out of the box.

I have a behavioural bug to report with Narrator/VoiceOver: when focusing with the keyboard on a newly created standalone app (usually by using the task switcher), there is no way to move focus to the window’s actual content. I can recreate this issue on both my project and the Demo Runner on MacOs and Windows (10/11) with the latest develop release. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @attila , currently while calling showMenu() with a keyboard shortcut on Windows with Narrator enabled, it doesn’t notify the PopupMenu’s parent menubar item name but the main window name instead.

After digging in the juce code I noticed the popup window created in juce_gui_basics::menus::juce_PopupMenu.cpp line 2106 with JUCE v7.0.1 develop does not have a title nor a description.
Havig the window title set correctly would help with the standard Windows menubar shortcuts like Alt+f for showing the File menu.