AU builds fine, VST3 fails with "Command PhaseScriptExecution failed with a nonzero exit code"

Hi, wondering if anyone had an idea about this. my AU target builds fine, but when I build for VST3, I am hit with “Command PhaseScriptExecution failed with a nonzero exit code” also with some allusion to “code object is not signed at all
In architecture: arm64”. is there some setting in the projucer that must be set? I believe to have done everything. Or could this to do with the latest update of Xcode? Ive only just started this project so I am unsure where this error could be coming from.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Are you using the very latest version of JUCE from the develop branch? If not, try updating and check whether the problem still occurs.

Ah yes I forgot to mention, just before posting i did check, downloaded latest version, copied contents, compiled projucer, reopened and saved project with new projucer, recompiled. But still the issue persists.

Does the AU open correctly in a host, and/or validate successfuly with auval?

It sounds like something’s going wrong while trying to load the plugin in order to write the moduleinfo.json file. If you’ve made any changes to the default/blank project, perhaps there’s a bug there that is preventing the plugin from opening successfully.

Hmm, registered correctly by ableton and juce plugin host but fails first test on pluginval:

Strictness level: 5
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Starting test: pluginval / Scan for known types: .../Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/plugin.component...
Num types found: 0
!!! Test 1 failed: No types found
FAILED!!  1 test failed, out of a total of 1

Finished validating:.../Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/plugin.component
*** FAILED: 1 TESTS

This is very strange, becuase the project was still very small I started a new project and ported the code over. Compiles fine now. I can only assume I incorrectly set up something in the projucer.

I am having this same error and I am also using the develop branch. I changed nothing and the only thing I can think of is that the upgrade to XCode 15 broke the build

IIRC, I had a similar message from pluginval (Github action) several weeks ago. This blog helped me fix it. I hope you find it useful.

I have now discovered that all of my plugins, AU and VST fail the first test on pluginval. I am also unable to find any good resources of what the first test is checking and what things could be causing the “no types found error”. How would you diagnose this sort of problem?

Does your company name or product name have a space in it?

I had this symptom. In my case the reason was that the VST3, AU and AAX Binary Location (projucer → Xcode (maxOS) → Release → VST3 Binary Location) contained $(PROJECT_DIR), which must have worked in earlier versions of xcode, zsh or something. Now, it needed to be replaced by ${PROJECT_DIR}.

1 Like

Thanks so much. An absolutely important piece of information that maybe should be mentioned somewhere more prominently. There are probably many Projucer projects out there that will need this fix.