Audio buffer size doubles using restartLastAudioDevice()

I have a test application set to run in the background. It calls deviceManager.closeAudioDevice() when interruptions are detected, and when a routing change is detected. A user action can then resume the running state calling deviceManager.restartLastAudioDevice();

This works great for everything (call interruptions, playing the music player, removing headphones) . . apart from Siri. When Siri interrupts playback, the device is closed, but when restartLastAudioDevice() is called by some user action, the buffersize has doubled relative to before the interruption. Eh?

I should probably add that I have the plist set so that audio runs in the background. It is also necessary to make some subtle mods to the iOS audio class . . .

1. Added some safety code to catch if the user disables all input and outputs. Otherwise, setsize hits an assertion that causes stuff to fail.

void prepareFloatBuffers() { if(!(numInputChannels+numOutputChannels)) return; //Edit floatData.setSize (numInputChannels + numOutputChannels, actualBufferSize);

2. I close the device manager when a device becomes unavailable. It is important to return from the function here so that it doesn’t try to start itself up again.

if (routeChangeReason == kAudioSessionRouteChangeReason_OldDeviceUnavailable) { const ScopedLock sl (callbackLock); if (callback != nullptr) { callback->audioDeviceError ("Old device unavailable"); return; //: Need to return here else the rest of the routing function will restart the device. FAIL! } }

1. Need to comment all the start / restart code from the interruption handling. Again, I do this manually with devicemanager closing and restarting in the error callback.

void interruptionListener (const UInt32 interruptionType) { if (interruptionType == kAudioSessionBeginInterruption) { // : Need to comment this out when app can run in background // isRunning = false; // AudioOutputUnitStop (audioUnit); // AudioSessionSetActive (false); const ScopedLock sl (callbackLock); if (callback != nullptr) callback->audioDeviceError ("iOS audio session interruption"); } if (interruptionType == kAudioSessionEndInterruption) { // : Need to comment this out when app can run in background // isRunning = true; // AudioSessionSetActive (true); // AudioOutputUnitStart (audioUnit); } }

1. I allow iOS to do it’s default thing here. I don’t want the output to default to the speaker!!

I am, similarly, closing the audio device when Siri interrupts us. You can see my post here... http://www.juce.com/forum/topic/siri-interruption-makes-my-audio-distorted

I cannot see why the audio is coming back so distorted.