AudioFormatWriter and FileOutputStream, how to write wav files

I’m trying to create a wav file with contents stored in an AudioBuffer in the pluginEditor. I dont need to stream data and write samples as the get process in the processor but rather just create a wav with what I have in that buffer.
I get an error as jassertfalse in WavAudioFormat.cpp when afw->writeFromAudioSampleBuffer(buffer, 0, buffer.getNumSamples()); is executed. The comment in WavAudioFormat.cpp says:
// if this fails, you’ve given it an output stream that can’t seek! It needs to be
// able to seek back to go back and write the header after the data has been written.

I have a unique_ptr juce::FileOutputStream fos, a ScopedPointerjuce::AudioFormatWriter afw, File file{ “path\fo.wav” }, and AudioBuffer buffer, in the pluginEditor.h .

this is what I have in the editor constructor:

formatManager.registerBasicFormats();
    file.create();
    fos = std::make_unique<juce::FileOutputStream>(file);

this is what I do in the editor code when I want to write the file:

fos->setPosition(0);
            fos->truncate();
            afw = format.createWriterFor(fos.get(),
                (unsigned int)buffer.getNumChannels(),
                {},
                0);
            afw->writeFromAudioSampleBuffer(buffer, 0, buffer.getNumSamples());

I dont think the file gets created, and it returns false if I execute fos->openedOk() before setting the position and truncating. Is this the way to even do this? I have no clue.

my call stack if it can be of any help:

> AAIR.exe!juce::WavAudioFormatWriter::writeHeader() Line 1400 C++
AAIR.exe!juce::WavAudioFormatWriter::write(const int * * data, int numSamples) Line 1360 C++
AAIR.exe!juce::AudioFormatWriter::writeFromFloatArrays(const float * const * channels, int numSourceChannels, int numSamples) Line 179 C++
AAIR.exe!juce::AudioFormatWriter::writeFromAudioSampleBuffer(const juce::AudioBuffer & source, int startSample, int numSamples) Line 195 C++
AAIR.exe!AAIRAudioProcessorEditor::changeListenerCallback(juce::ChangeBroadcaster * source) Line 520 C++
AAIR.exe!juce::ChangeBroadcaster::callListeners::__l2::(juce::ChangeListener & l) Line 87 C++
AAIR.exe!juce::ListenerList<juce::ChangeListener,juce::Array<juce::ChangeListener *,juce::DummyCriticalSection,0>>::call<void (juce::ChangeListener &)>(juce::ChangeBroadcaster::callListeners::__l2::void (juce::ChangeListener &) && callback) Line 124 C++
AAIR.exe!juce::ChangeBroadcaster::callListeners() Line 88 C++
AAIR.exe!juce::ChangeBroadcaster::ChangeBroadcasterCallback::handleAsyncUpdate() Line 100 C++
AAIR.exe!juce::AsyncUpdater::AsyncUpdaterMessage::messageCallback() Line 35 C++
AAIR.exe!juce::InternalMessageQueue::dispatchMessage(juce::MessageManager::MessageBase * message) Line 202 C++
AAIR.exe!juce::InternalMessageQueue::dispatchMessages() Line 240 C++
AAIR.exe!juce::InternalMessageQueue::dispatchNextMessage(bool returnIfNoPendingMessages) Line 125 C++
AAIR.exe!juce::MessageManager::dispatchNextMessageOnSystemQueue(bool returnIfNoPendingMessages) Line 266 C++
AAIR.exe!juce::MessageManager::runDispatchLoop() Line 128 C++
AAIR.exe!juce::JUCEApplicationBase::main() Line 266 C++
AAIR.exe!WinMain(HINSTANCE__ * formal, HINSTANCE * __formal, char * __formal, int __formal) Line 47 C++
[External Code]

bump… encountering this same issue, but only when writing the file to a network drive. It does appear to be writing the file though… and actually appears to ‘fail’ further up the stack in FileOutputStream::write before attempting to ‘fallback’ on writing the header in WavAudioFormat::write