AudioPlayhead->CurrentPositionInfo->timeInSamples and "caching" a plugin's processed output

Wish me luck articulating this…

There might be a reason to attempt to avoid the normal plugin real time processing in a given plugin - maybe it uses high CPU, or maybe it has high latency. So, if there were a way to avoid the processing overhead but still retain the benefit of the processed audio, then that seems like something that would be useful in some situations. In most cases, the settings of the plugin do not change between playbacks, so if the plugin could simply “cache” it’s processed output and output those samples until some UI setting is modified (which would invalidate the cache), then it seems like that would be very useful for these plugins. (side note: if the plugin has some sort of random number generation, then it cannot do this without losing the randomness, so exclude those plugins for this discussion).

In order for this to work, the plugin needs to know exactly which sample is arriving at processBlock. Instead of “here are 512 samples”, it would need “here are samples 1000 through 1512”, as measured from the host session timeline start or some other reference point. If those processed samples already exist in it’s locally stored memory cache, then it simply returns those…otherwise it has to do it’s processing and add them to the cache. It is sort of like an “auto-rendering” functionality. It seems very useful, but I am concerned why it does not already exist (or maybe it does). If it works, it seems like it could one day be taken care of in the JUCE layer, for the benefit of all.

If I understand the CurrentPositionInfo correctly, the timeInSamples is an absolute value from the beginning of the host audio session. Can this be used in conjunction with processBlock to accomplish what I am talking about?

1 Like

How would the plugin know that the host timeline contents have changed? (That’s not part of the standard plugin APIs.) Would you also keep a cached copy of the audio input and compare the incoming audio from the host and the cached input? I don’t think the standard plugin APIs even let you know if the incoming audio or MIDI comes from the host timeline or a realtime input…

What you are proposing seems like a solution looking for a problem. Unless you are working on a plugin that has absolutely massive CPU consumption requirements…

1 Like

Or a solution that is 10 years too late…as CPU usage was a significant problem at one point. The solution does trade off memory for CPU…so it is not free. In any case, I have a very specific need to do this, so if anyone has any advice using timeInSamples before I head down this path, I would appreciate it.

That kind of caching is something that really only a host can do correctly - it’s why many of them offer track “freezing”.

I think if you’re attempting to do something like that, you’ll run into many edge-cases and situations where it just doesn’t work properly. Good luck if you have a real-world use case where you genuinely need to do that, but I think it’d be a maintenance nightmare and definitely not anything we’d consider attempting in juce itself.

Note though that it is part of the ARA API which is gaining a lot of tracktion nowadays

1 Like

Yes, I am aware of that, but JUCE does not support it.

1 Like

Can’t tell if typo or subtle hint :smiley:

2 Likes

Which reminds me I should check how well the Tracktion Engine ARA-implementation works… :wink:

Host capabilities are already in Tracktion Engine code:

2 Likes