AudioPluginHost fails to scan default test VST3 plugin

Hi, I’m new here. I followed a tutorial to get debugging set up. I’ve compiled and run the AudioPluginHost and also compiled the default test plugin with no changes, but when scanning for new plugins (VST3) i get the message JUCE Assertion failure in juce_VST3PluginFormat.cpp:232 in Xcode and the AudioPluginHost App crashes/does not respond anymore.
It also seems sometimes to be able to initially scan the default test plugin but it is deactivated (red). The Spitfire Audio - BBC Symphony Orchestra Plugin (VST3) is also deactivated.
I’m using JUCE 7.0.5.

Have you tried scanning out-of-process rather than in-process?

When scanning out-of-process I don’t get the JUCE Assertion failure I mentioned but the before mentioned plugins also stay deactived.

To re-scan them you’ll need to remove them from the list (select them, then press backspace on the computer keyboard) before scanning again.

Ok, it seems to be working now. Thank you very much!
What is the diffrence between in-process and out-of-process?

In-process means that the plugin scanner happens in the main AudioPluginHost program. It’s easier to debug (you can just attach to the AudioPluginHost straight away), but it loads plugins on a background thread, which is likely to fail in the case of VST3 plugins. Also, if any plugin crashes during scanning, the entire program will crash.

Out-of-process means that a separate copy of the AudioPluginHost is launched to handle the plugin scanning. This approach is much more robust, but slightly tricker to debug.

3 Likes