Can someone help me set up some sidechain basics pls?

The ‘host misbehaving’ warning is correct, but it shouldn’t cause the plugin to crash.

Where/how is the plugin actually crashing? Can you provide a stack trace?

as you can see in the screenshot it says “external code” right below the current stack trace so i actually don’t know where it’s coming from unfortunately.

A jassert is not a crash. If you continue execution, where does the plugin crash?

ok i totally forgot about that. because usually jasserts come right before some point where stuff would crash, but now the actual problem was exposed to me. i used the buffer from processBlock directly without using getBus and getBusBuffer to seperate it into main and sidechain-buffer, and that caused the channelcount to exceed stereo, while a lot of my stuff expects max 2 channels. thank you so much! i think that was actually the entire problem.

PS: do you think one should be concerned about that bitwig jassert tho? should i inform the bitwig team about it? what does it mean?

The VST3 spec requires that activateBus is only called while the plugin is in a deactivated state, but your version of Bitwig Studio fails to deactivate the plugin before changing the active buses. The Bitwig developers are aware of the issue, and I expect it will be fixed in a future version.

1 Like

alright, i finally was able to make that video and i’m just dropping it here for all the people in the future who find this post and scroll to the end hoping for a TLDR. this is it! :slight_smile: