ChatGPT told me to come here, Free True-Peak Limiter?

ChatGPT told me the easiest way to find (or make) a free True-Peak limiter (like LoudMax but with the neutrality of the free Kilohearts Limiter which isn’t true peak) was to come here. Does someone know of a free True Peak limiter created with JUCE or is it possible to make one without too much programming (using some sort of pre-made module)? Thanks!

If it also told you there is a search button, you would have found this valuable thread :wink:

8 Likes

… which still doesn’t really say anything about how true peak limiting works. It is in any case more complicated than over-sampling a (simple) limiter.

1 Like

Yes, I was reading the thread and it only showed some types of oversampling for plugins from what I could understand. Apparently, there is no simple way of creating a free true-peak limiter (that might be why there is only one - LoudMax, apart of the oversampled soft clipper SoftLimit by Apogee which is truly great).

ChatGPT told you to come here, because this community is very helpful when you have problems getting started with audio programming, but not because it lets you bypass any programming. it would be best if you hopped into some of the most basic JUCE tutorials and learn how it works. setting up visual studio and JUCE. making your first plugin project, a gain parameter and how it is connected with the GUI. then you can come back to your idea and implement a simple limiter, then extend it with the features to make it true-peak

1 Like

Not something I’ve done (yet), but I’m guessing this would be because the downsample process would likely introduce new peaks. Would it be correct to think along the lines of calculating the gain multiplier on oversampled input data, but applying it on the non-oversampled input signal, while accounting for delay and such?

1 Like

Yes, that would a correct assumption.
Mind you the gain corrections are smoothed by an envelope anyway (at least release).

Does someone know if the new version of LoudMax uses Juce? The only free Mastering Limiter I like is Frontier and it isn’t brick wall, for final soft clipping I would say the free Apogee SoftLimit plugin. If only Kilohearts would update their limiter plugin to have a true-peak option! :smiling_face_with_tear: