ChildProcess not working?

Hi Jules,

I’ve successfully used ChildProcess on Windows but I’m not able to make it work on OSX

a simple

ChildProcess process
process.start("unzip PathToSomeZippedFile -d PathToAFolder")

does not work.

Am I missing something ?

Thanks,

Try using a full path for the exe name?

already tried that with my own code.
This test fails as well

ChildProcess process;
process.start("/usr/bin/unzip PathToSomeZippedFile -d PathToAFolder");

Well, I use that class on OSX and it has always worked… Have you dug into it with the debugger?

I did try the debugger but I don’t see how to debug the fork part

Do you use it with parameters ?

Yeah, I pass parameters. Never had a problem!

I’m not sure if this is related, but the OP’s code works for me, in the sense that the application is run. But you can’t generally get results. That is:

ChildProcess process;
process.start("/usr/bin/unzip PathToSomeZippedFile -d PathToAFolder");
String result = process.readAllProcessOutput();

Typically returns an empty string on OS-X. This is because ChildProcess::ActiveProcess::read (…) always fails at:

readHandle = fdopen (pipeHandle, "r");

When I first ran into it I assumed that it is because the process has already ended, but I never really rang it out to make sure. When I want to run a util like unzip and check results, I typically use something like this:

String process = "/usr/bin/unzip PathToSomeZippedFile -d PathToAFolder";  // Tweak by platform
    String result;

#if JUCE_MAC
    FILE* pipe = popen(process.toUTF8(), "r");
    if (pipe)
    {
        char buffer[128];
        while (! feof (pipe))
        {
            if (fgets (buffer, sizeof (buffer), pipe) != NULL)
                result += buffer;
        }
        pclose (pipe);
    }
#else
    ChildProcess childProcess;
    childProcess.start (process);
    result = childProcess.readAllProcessOutput();
#endif

Again, not sure if it is related, but it is definitely a problem I have had with ChildProcess on OS-X.

FWIW, I just took a quick look. fdopen on the read pipe fails with an errno of 2 (no such file) even if you put it in the parent process response to fork().

Didn’t see anything blatantly wrong with the pipe mapping, but I don’t have time to dig deeper.

Yeah, I remember also looking at this, but never figured out what was going wrong. AFAICT my code is doing everything just like the examples tell you to…

Well, in theory, popen is basically a wrapper around pipe/fork:

http://www.publicsource.apple.com/source/Libc/Libc-166/gen.subproj/popen.c?txt

At a glance, the biggest difference I see is that it is a vfork(), same memory space. If I have time later I’ll do some poking.

Ok, the reason that reading process output is broken on OS-X is that fdopen is being defined to:

#      define fdopen(fd,mode) NULL /* No fdopen() */

In a file called zutil.h, from zlib, specifically in the OS-X case. If I force fdopen back to the definition from stdio.h in juce_posix_SharedCode.h, I can read the child process output using ChildProcess::readAllProcessOutput(), just like with popen() above.

Sorry, only had a few minutes, so I didn’t start spelunking to see what’s going on with includes and namespaces.

Humm I know why it wasn’t working for me.
I had a break-point and in that case, the forked process is killed (don’t ask me why)

assertion failure on line 219 of "/SourceCache/gdb/gdb-1510/src/gdb/macosx/macosx-nat-inferior-util.c" in function "macosx_inferior_suspend_mach": macosx_task_valid (s->task)
warning: Got an error handling event: "assertion failure on line 219 of "/SourceCache/gdb/gdb-1510/src/gdb/macosx/macosx-nat-inferior-util.c" in function "macosx_inferior_suspend_mach": macosx_task_valid (s->task)

By the way, thanks jfitzpat, your code with popen works fine so I will be using this.

[quote=“jfitzpat”]Ok, the reason that reading process output is broken on OS-X is that fdopen is being defined to:

#      define fdopen(fd,mode) NULL /* No fdopen() */

[/quote]

WTF?? Goddamn C hackers with their fucking macros! :evil: Considering that zlib must be one of the most widely-used libraries in the world, it really is a terrible piece of crap. One day when I’ve nothing better to do, I’ll write a C++ replacement for it, in about 200 lines of elegant code with no macros.

Thanks, I’ve added some #undefs now, and some checks to make sure it doesn’t sneak through the net again!

[quote=“jules”]
WTF?? Goddamn C hackers with their fucking macros! :evil: [/quote]

A JUCE gear tee shirt perhaps?

[quote=“jfitzpat”][quote=“jules”]
WTF?? Goddamn C hackers with their fucking macros! :evil: [/quote]

A JUCE gear tee shirt perhaps?[/quote]

I’d rock it!