Component repaint issue

I’m happy to experiment but I’m not sure where that test would go…?

And hang on, isn’t that what is happening in CoreGraphicsContext::clipToRectangle() already? Though there is a worrying comment in there that suggests that clipping the CGContext to a rectangle doesn’t actually work… :confused:

[code]bool CoreGraphicsContext::clipToRectangle (const Rectangle& r)
{
CGContextClipToRect (context, CGRectMake (r.getX(), flipHeight - r.getBottom(), r.getWidth(), r.getHeight()));

if (lastClipRectIsValid)
{
    // This is actually incorrect, because the actual clip region may be complex, and
    // clipping its bounds to a rect may not be right... But, removing this shortcut
    // doesn't actually fix anything because CoreGraphics also ignores complex regions
    // when calculating the resultant clip bounds, and makes the same mistake!
    lastClipRect = lastClipRect.getIntersection (r);
    return ! lastClipRect.isEmpty();
}

return ! isClipEmpty();
}
[/code]

Ah, maybe, I don’t really remember the details.

Hmm, this is a really tough problem.

It seems that CGContextGetClipBoundingBox() doesn’t return what we would expect it to. Even if there is no clip region (so nothing will be drawn) it will still return a clip bounding box for an area that due to some quirky internal implementation it incorrectly thinks might contain a visible area.

This must be causing a huge inefficiency in a lot of Juce apps… any largish GUI with frequently updating components will be redrawing most of the GUI each update. For example a media player app with a time code display at the top and a progress bar at the bottom will have it’s entire GUI redrawn each time both the timecode and progress slider update.

otristan’s multiple repaint solution isn’t so terrible - in my case it reduces my GUI’s CPU usage from around 18% to 9%, but there must be a more elegant solution?! Using the software renderer isn’t really an option either as I need good performance on iOS.

Oh well, I’d be very happy if someday someone found a way to do this properly, but until then I can live with the multiple repaint option… :slight_smile:

I’ve been struggling with this issue as well and it’s quite frustrating (and I had posted a new thread about it, not realizing that this one existed). My GUI is exactly as you describe, graffiti – large, with many frequently updating components. On Windows it works great, but on OS X it really drains the CPU. It almost makes the app unusable, which is a real bummer as you can imagine!

One thing you might try is using Component::setBufferedToImage(true). Basically this renders any component into a bitmap, so that when paint() is called, it doesn’t have to do any re-rendering (if nothing has changed). It lowered my CPU usage a bit. Not as much as I would have liked though!

edit - One more thing, in my thread (see http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8626), jules mentions a new class “CachedComponentImage”. I gather this is new since 1.53 (since it’s not in the release), so I haven’t tried it yet. Might be worth investigating.

Probably related: http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11212

Does using the OpenGLRenderer make this issue irrelevant?

Looks like I'm hitting this issue again.

Is there any way the Roli guys can take a deeper look at this as this make any Juce app with animated widget here and there slow on OSX ?

Thanks !

Unless someone can persuade Apple to add a suitable function to CoreGraphics that would give us the clipping info we need, then I've no idea what else we could possibly do.