Deleting a track in Logic with "Delete" key crashes JuceDemo

Hey Jules

I’ve just spent some time debugging my plug-in, because it would crash in Logic 8 and sometimes in AuLab when deleting (with the delete key) the track or channel it’s on while the plug-in is shown. I’ve been messing around with some command manager / target stuff and thought this was the cause. I decided to open the “out of box” juce demo plugin and sure enough it crashes too.

So to reproduce this just create two tracks in Logic (I’m using 8 here, and creating two instrument tracks) on one of the tracks put in the juce demo (effect), show its ui and then select the track in Logic and press the “delete” key. This only happens if the plug-in ui is open.

Deleting the track via the Logic “track->delete track” menu does not crash it. So it looks like some key listening issues or something.

Nothing really useful in the debugger:

Program received signal: “EXC_BAD_ACCESS”. could mean loads of stuff…

Is this built with the very latest tip code?

yes.

ok, I’ll try that next time I’ve got PT running.

BTW did you try this with the demo plugin?

Yes, I tried it with the demo plug-in project straight from the git tree. My report is for Logic 8, could be an AU issue only.

I’ve formed a habit to always try the demo plugin first when stuff goes wrong in my project.

I’ll try it in Logic 9 later on tonight.

Problem don’t happen with Logic 9 here,

Salvator

Just tried this, and can’t reproduce the problem in Logic 8.

It might have been cured by some messaging changes I made last week - try the tip yourself and see if it helps.

Similar question, now building from top of tree sync over Christmas.

When trying to load Juce Vstis in Sonar Home Studio 7, it reports on initial scan “error on ‘stop effect.’ Disable plugin?” If the warning is bypassed and the plugin permitted, then the plugin loads. The plugin also loads into the VSTi rack. However, when attempting to delete the plugin from the rack, Sonar crashes.

It works fine in Ableton Live LE 7, Vaz 2.5, and Juce Plug-in host. Sadly my Cubase SX dongle was borrowed and didn’t make it home, so I can’t check on Cubase for a bit.

[quote=“emeyer”]Similar question, now building from top of tree sync over Christmas.

When trying to load Juce Vstis in Sonar Home Studio 7, it reports on initial scan “error on ‘stop effect.’ Disable plugin?” If the warning is bypassed and the plugin permitted, then the plugin loads. The plugin also loads into the VSTi rack. However, when attempting to delete the plugin from the rack, Sonar crashes.

It works fine in Ableton Live LE 7, Vaz 2.5, and Juce Plug-in host. Sadly my Cubase SX dongle was borrowed and didn’t make it home, so I can’t check on Cubase for a bit.[/quote]

Did you try the juce demo plugin or is this your own code?

It started happening with all Juce plugins, including the demos, after I installed the VC90 distribution .exe package for Visual Studio 2008. On further research, the reported exception C0000005 was previously noted in 2007 in the Cakewalk forums as a version conflict with VC80 libs which Sonar used at the time:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1101996

And I guess now the same problem happens with current Sonar and VC90 libs. With Home Studio 7, I’m getting crashes now in both the msvcr90.dll and the debug msvcrd90.dll version, but it’s likely the Sonar DLLS are now probably the obsolete ones.

Is there a way for Juce to pull the DLL versions it needs from a local directory, rather than the windows_root/WinSxS directory? That would protect against future failure too.

It’s the MS library stubs that load the DLL, so no, I don’t know a way to change that.

The problem is that the current version of Sonar still works with the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 redistributable, and I was building with Visual Studio 2008. So I need to look into building Juce on the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 redistributable instead. Sorry to mix topics in one thread.