Oh, I’ve realized that I’m somehow incapable of make any sort of product that doesn’t break other people’s systems, no matter how hard I try to be “regular”. I get complaints… “Why do you do it that way?” If I didn’t later get compliments from the same people (“It works well and it’s easy to change!”) I’d have given up years ago.
I have quite the little toolchain here, because I have all sorts of generated files - protocol buffer definitions, and things like icons which I translate into C++, so even though it works really smoothly for me, I’m not at all surprised that there are some obscure issues when I try to move! I’m actually synthesizing the .jucer file, even, so I’m not surprised that my jucer file might not be what you expect, even if it works perfectly with the “main branch” introjucer.
Looking at my posts, they definitely come off as whiny but I would have been really surprised if it did all work. I’m really psyched to get to “modules”, even though I perceive a certain risk to my delivery schedule that leaves me conflicted…
Regarding API changes, CachedComponentImage seems very promising and certainly gives me a path to port my code, so that will solve that problem there - the other changes were tiny, it seems like a few things that returned const String or const StringArray before now return a non-const, it was the work of seconds to fix.
So here’s how I’m going to proceed. I’m in beta-testing for this product, but very few bugs have surfaced. I was developing the move to “Juce modules” on a branch anyway - but I’m going to start a new one, and then document exactly what I do, and the results, so I can give you, Jules, a completely clear test case (or, discover how I fouled up).
And it will also be a clear pattern for people to follow. I think I’m in a minority by developing on the Mac and testing on Windows, but I don’t think I’m alone, so other people will find it helpful.
Stay tuned, it will probably be a few days.
EDIT: It occurs to me that there’s also the issue of the missing XCode settings - to be specific, there were rather a lot of XCode compilation settings I need or want to be on, settings that I couldn’t figure out how to set in the .jucer document (and from reading the Introjucer code, seemed as if impossible to set from the .jucer document!)
It seems to me again that I can’t be the only one wanting these code generation settings and warnings turned on, so either there will be a way to do it in the new system or I can cajole Jules into adding a line in the Jucer to add these missing settings.
This isn’t critical because everything builds even with the default settings - I just get thousands of bogus linkage warnings, and conversely, don’t see a lot of warnings that I want to see (I compile with almost everything turned on, even unsigned and 32 vs. 64…)