Dropout and weird delay caused by AudioIODeviceCombiner?

Hi there,

I’m trying to track down a hard to reproduce issue: I have an audio application that’s processing live audio. I have two different audio devices selected for input and output - their clocks are not synced - but they run at the “same” sample rate.

after quite some time (1.5-2h) I hear a crackling sound and after that audio output is noticeable (0.25s or so) delayed.

I had a quick glance at the implementation of AudioIODeviceCombiner. I can imagine, that it was - let’s say - interesting to write. From my understanding, the implementation is using FIFOs of bufferSize*3+1 samples. I could not spot anything about resampling (in case the clocks drift). So I would expect, that in case of a clock drift, there’s a dropout and then processing continues without a dramatic delay.

To cause the delay I’m having, one would need a buffer of at least 10k samples. In the case I’m observing, the bufferSize is 256 and the FIFO size is 769 - that’s not even close. (And I also don’t have any delay lines in my processing)

And now to my questions:
1.) has anyone noticed a similar issue before ?
2.) is it intentional, that clock drifts are simply ignored? Shouldn’t there be some kind of resampling?
3.) any ideas on how to investigate this further?

Thanks for the input,
Ben

Implicit sample rate conversion or drift correction?

The question could be : why is AudioIODeviceCombiner class needed in the first place? CoreAudio layer allows to aggregate separated devices, so this could be entirely avoided (see this thread Estimating JUCE behavior to develop a generic architecture file for Faust)

Good point.
I think the reason might be, that the aggregated devices suffered from high
latency. But I think that this was improved some time ago. I’ll need to
check how bad this really is nowadays.

You can use Apple HALLab test application yo display all in/out latencies :