File::getFileIdentifier() gives two different results for x86 and x64 builds on Windows

Trying to pull a Machine ID from File::getSpecialLocation(File::windowsSystemDirectory).getFileIdentifier() I found out that I get two different results, under Windows 7, for the x86 and for the x64 builds. Any explanation? Is there any way I can get the same results I get for the x64 build with the x86 build as well?

Is the Windows System Directory physically the same directory between the two builds? I doubt it, and thus the Identifier will be different.

Yes, running the two executables, 32 and 64 bit, on the same machine, gives two different results, even if they point to the same folder which is C:\Windows\system32

Oh, I misunderstood the question. I thought you were running two different versions of Windows, 32bit and 64bit. But, my basic answer still stands. It’s likely that due to how Windows runs 32bit apps on a 64bit OS. There are a variety of ‘redirections’ happening under the hood. This may help you understand: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/winprog64/file-system-redirector