Focus on Label Component in DialogWindow

I have a dialog window that accepts a custom component which in tern has an editable label. For ease of use to the user I want the key cursor blinking and the label ready to accept input for speed save the user clicking on the label component.

I have read in previous posts that the label needs to be displayed before calling for focus.
My code calls this at time of creation

iptBox->grabKeyboardFocus();
iptBox->setWantsKeyboardFocus(true);

And I have tried those post the dialogWindow being shown.

I have also tried bringing the window to the front with this
savePresetWindow->toFront(true);

Then calling the above but can’t seem to gain focus… Am I missing something.

PS Jules shouldn’t answer as he promptly answered a question on Christmas Eve and New Years Eve…

Create a Timer and in the callback set the focus.

Also check out this thread in case it’s relavent.

Rail

Ok well I’ll test the using a timer callback. I have a polling system which is governed by an event timer callback anyway as I am using quite bit of threading in the application.

Had a read through some of the pointers in your post which I agree with however I should have pointed out that my application is standalone audio not a plugin, I would have gone down the component overlay model if it were but as its an app I wanted a separate window and focus for ease and with Return Key to finish input and close dialog which I have. Im just trying to make it as easy as possible from a UX perspective. Will let you know if the timer triggered focus works as there is only the one textbox in the window. Cheers.

Ah ok so this actually pulls keyboard focus away (after mouse click and “is timer” is showing on my console so I know its grabKeyboardFocus function is the culprit. iptBox is Label component so does it have a child component I need to target?

InputDialogComponent::InputDialogComponent()
{
   startTimer(50);
}
InputDialogComponent::~InputDialogComponent()
{
    stopTimer();
}
void InputDialogComponent::timerCallback()
{
    std::cout << " is timer " << std::endl;
    iptBox->grabKeyboardFocus();
}

K, Figured it, this feels a little dirty but it works so unless any better suggestions Im rolling with showEditor() call in timed callback then stoping the timer…

void InputDialogComponent::timerCallback()
{
    std::cout << " is timer " << std::endl;
    iptBox->showEditor();
    stopTimer();
}

That looks right to me.

Cheers,

Rail