FontMetrics

i think juice needs these:
FontMetrics Class(as in java ,qt,gtk,upp,…)
Polygon class
Font class getFontMetrics()
Graphics class getFontMetrics()
getGraphics()
drawPolygon() [Graphics,Path]
drawPolyPolygon() [Graphics,Path]
Dimension Or Size Classes

thanks

I don’t know that I agree about the Polygon class. What’s it going to offer that isn’t provided by paths and transforms?

Unless you’re looking for collision detection, but then most of the time that’s a somewhat specialized problem[1]. I use 2D polygons and vectors all the time, and I doubt I’d have any use for JUCE provided classes.

[1] without even worrying about when best to build vector trees, or other such indexes, without first knowing the purpose to which they would be put, even the utterly boring question of handling accurate intersection precision for a class that does not have a-priori knowledge about co-ordinate extents, can be a minefield.

What is it specifically in a FontMetrics class that you think is missing from the other stuff like Font, Typeface, GlyphArrangement, etc?

[size=150][color=blue][color=blue]Hi valley,Hi jules
Thanks for Replying
About FontMetrics Class :
nothing specific except for compatibility with other GUI Toolkits
[Java ,Qt .UPP,Fox.etc…]
this make porting code to juce so easy
[FontMetrics fm=font.getFontMetrics()]
[FontMetrics fm=getGraphics().getFontMetrics()]

About Graphics Class:
[-] drawPolygon(int[] xpts,int ypts[],int ptscount);
[-]drawPolygon(Polygon poly);

About Components:
[-] Graphics gr=window.getGraphics();

[-]Polygon,etc…

thats enough for now

[/color][/color][/size]

[quote=“juicelover”]Hi valley,Hi jules

About Graphics Class:
[-] drawPolygon(int[] xpts,int ypts[],int ptscount);
[-]drawPolygon(Polygon poly);

[/quote]

Holy LOUD Batman!

This is a pretty lightweight extension to JUCE’s paths and transforms. For what you need it’d be trivial to roll your own, as essentially all you seem to need is a helper class for compatibility with other frameworks. Take a look at the paths class. It’s pretty powerful.

That’s just not good design, though. Unless you’re dealing with OpenGL there is no good reason to be trying to draw to a component outside of a paint method, if for no other reason than it defeats any region optimizations that JUCE is trying to do.

Essentially, your call to window.getGraphics() is analogous to JUCE’s component::repaint().

I know a few frameworks do allow for this kind of thing, but I’ve never found that it leads to particularly tidy code. It also tends to lead to confusion because it gives the impression that getGraphics() allows for true realtime display updates, which is not guaranteed to be the case at all.

Hi valley
thanks again for your swift reply [are you some sort of answering machine? :)]

I actually rolled my own compat Layer and classes
but what about the other dudes
i think JUCE must save them from inventing the wheel again and again

getGraphics() not so bad there situation we need the Graphics handle in
our hand for flexibility [Game ,Drawing and Paint programms]
i think so,but may be i’m wrong

apology,for annoying you

Hi valley
thanks again for your swift reply [are you some sort of answering machine? :)]

I actually rolled my own compat Layer and classes
but what about the other dudes
i think JUCE must save them from inventing the wheel again and again

getGraphics() not so bad there are situations we need the Graphics handle in
our hand for flexibility [Game ,Drawing and Paint programms]
i think so,but may be i’m wrong

apology,for annoying you

[quote=“juicelover”]Hi valley
thanks again for your swift reply [are you some sort of answering machine? :)][/quote]

No, I’m just sad.

I’d agree in general, but I really do think that in this case, Polygons are too much of a thing unto themselves. If you just want to draw shapes, use the paths class. Really it’s just a polygon class under a different name, but way more useful. If you need intersections, then that’s such a specialized thing that I don’t see much use for the general form.

Well as I say, for drawing and paint programs, you’re at the mercy of the OS for when actual painting is getting done. Just because you’ve drawn something on a graphics context in no way guarantees that the OS is going to render that to the screen[1][2]. It’ll just add it to the list of things to do when it next gets round to it. Having a simple painter method means that all of your clipping logic can be in one place, and will be called in an entirely deterministic manner. That’s a good thing IMHO. The only cost is that you have to call repaint() to start the painting process.

For games though, you’d most likely be using OpenGL anyway, and that’s a whole different animal. In that case though, you can paint as and when you want, so you get to work in the way you’re expecting.

[quote]
apology,for annoying you[/quote]

Annoying me? Not at all.

[1] I think OSX and Vista are pretty good in this regard. I’m not so sure about X11. Win32 can be kind of clunky about how and when screen updates occur.

[2] also remember that in JUCE graphics contexts may well be devices such as printers, so you shouldn’t be making any assumptions.

Yep, valley speaks the truth…

Hi
Good,for now

but i have two more points:
(1) what about Complete Generic Containers for JUCE [to get rid of STL]
(2) Object class as the base class in JUCE class hierarchy.Why!?
this makes abstraction and generic programming easier
[i think so]

Hi jules
i think you must use open source standards no microsoft ones
so this make sense with JUCE as a cross-platform frame-work
i think gcc toolkit is slow but great

[quote]i think you must use open source standards no microsoft ones
so this make sense with JUCE as a cross-platform frame-work
i think gcc toolkit is slow but great[/quote]

Sorry, no idea what you’re talking about there. I don’t follow any MS standards…

Hi jules

i mean by open standards that we must use open source tools [compilers ,debugers,etc…] to build open source tools
why!?
many things here but for us [as juce users] open source tools will save us from microsoft hell of platform SDK and lost headers ,libs ,and so on
so by using mingw bundles for windows we guarantee that at compile every thing well be ok from the first CLICK [no undefined symbols ,lost headers,…] any more
this what i mean by open standards [from my point of view of course]
and this for you http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/open-standards-open-source.html

Jules what about making Object as the base class as i mentioned before