FR: Components can receive mouseEnter with pressed button

button
mouseenter

In some occasions it is necessary to receive mouseEnter and mouseExit events regardless if the button is pressed or not. So please add the following feature:

Add a flag to Component named similar: receivesMouseEnterExitWhileButtonPressed (bool enter, bool exit). Default should be false to keep current behaviour.

A usecase is given in this thread: Toggle buttons when swiping over a row

I actually think the best way to implement this would be with the same trick that I’ve been meaning to add for a while, i.e. a new mouse method called mouseCancel(), and a mechanism by which you can steal the mouse from the currently-dragged component. The main motivator for adding this would be for gesture detection to be able to handle things like someone pressing a button, but then spotting that the movement is actually a swipe, and stealing the input from that button without it triggering a mouseUp. In your case, a group of buttons could watch for when the mouse is dragged outside themselves onto another button, and then relinquish the event, allowing the other one to take over.

Thanks @jules, that sounds like a sensible workflow.
But do I get that right, that it is not possible currently?

If I would do this:

void mouseMoved (const MouseEvent& e)
{
    if (!getLocalBounds().contains (e.getPosition())
        e.cancelDrag();
}

Would that automatically create a mouseExit event? And a mouseEnter to the new component?

What about the mouseUp and mouseDown? They would probably not occur then, but maybe that is a good thing?

Yeah, it’s not possible at the moment, it’s something that would need to be added to the MouseInputSource.