Get iOS Device

Hey, here’s a little helper function to figure out what kind of iOS device is being used:

#if JUCE_IOS 
    #include <sys/sysctl.h>

String getPlatform()
            {
                size_t size;
                sysctlbyname("hw.machine", nullptr, &size, nullptr, 0);
                HeapBlock<char> heap(size);
                sysctlbyname("hw.machine", heap.getData(), &size, nullptr, 0);
                String platform(heap.getData());
                DBG( "found platform: " << platform);
                return platform;
            }
#endif

in the Simulator, it’ll return “x86_64”, but on actual iOS devices, it’ll return the full device identifier, i.e. iPhone8,1 or iPhone10,6
here’s an unofficial list of device identifiers: https://gist.github.com/adamawolf/3048717

Hi, I use:

String device = SystemStats::getDeviceDescription();

Not sure what this will return on simulator as not tried, but returns either iPad or iPhone on devices. Not sure if any further detail is available with different calls.

Cheers

yeah, that just says “iPhone”. it doesn’t say which model of iPhone or iPad.

perhaps the JUCE team wants to update

String SystemStats::getDeviceDescription()
{
   #if JUCE_IOS
    return nsStringToJuce ([[UIDevice currentDevice] model]);
   #else
    return String();
   #endif
}

so it provides the actual device identifier? @fabian @ed95

https://github.com/WeAreROLI/JUCE/commit/ef665c5982fa1a0dfcf730add27d492bbd130223

Hi Ed - I haven’t pulled latest yet, but if the return value has changed is this a breaking change?

thx

Instead of returning iPhone or iPad it’ll now return something like iPhone7, 2 for e.g. an iPhone 6 so it shouldn’t break anything and just adds some extra info.

But if we’re comparing the result to see if it returns iPad or iPhone this will now fail?

I can add something to the breaking changes doc for this, but it’s just a matter of changing your comparison from SystemStats::getDeviceDescription() == "iPhone"; to SystemStats::getDeviceDescription().contains ("iPhone");

Yes, I agree - but as the change will be a silent one when people pull from dev (or main branch once it moves over) then they’re not going to know unless it’s listed as a breaking change. I only know because I happen to have posted on this mail, otherwise when I next pull from dev I’d have had to hunt for the break…

1 Like

After you pull the latest tip from develop, why wouldn’t you read the commit messages to see what’s been updated? That’s the easiest way to know if a change is breaking without requiring a special alert from the JUCE team, no?

1 Like

well, sometimes i go weeks without pulling so there’s a lot to go through - and there’s also the person who pulls from master once every 6 months - are they really going to read every commit comment?

I thought the purpose of the breaking changes announcements was to alert people to things in their code that silently (i.e. no compiler errors) will behave differently. It really was only a suggestion…

sure sure, i wasn’t implying anything. I know that there are a lot of users on here who pull from develop nightly.

1 Like

yeah, understood - once I’m getting close to a release i tend to stick with a version for a while, just in case something goes awry

1 Like

Hey there
I found this thread whilst searching for a solution. I’m finding that when I run on iPhone
Simulator with XCode the device is returned from SystemStats::getDeviceDescriotion as:
x86_64

This is per @matkatmusic’s initial post. My question is how are people testing to see what the iPhone version is when working with Simulators?

Cheers, Jeff

SystemStats::getDeviceDescription() will now return the device name when running in the sim.

2 Likes

Wow thanks! Tested and it works a treat. 2hr turn around for a fix… How is this even possible, @ed95??! Amazing :smiley:

Hey,

Im not sure but i think this fix no longer works for M1 Macs.

the line:
if (description == “x86_64”) :: 164 in Juce_mac_systemstats

could be changed to:

if (description == “x86_64” || description == “arm64”)

though I havent got an iphone to test against (works in the simulator at least)

1 Like

A little late (coming back) to the party, but good catch @wlpjames

Is there a pull request for this change? Seems like there should be. Certainly the change is working for me.

Kind regards,
Jeff

Actually, any chance we can also change this?:

if (auto* simDeviceName = [userInfo objectForKey: @"SIMULATOR_DEVICE_NAME"])
to
if (auto* simDeviceName = [userInfo objectForKey: @"SIMULATOR_MODEL_IDENTIFIER"])

This way the returned description string is consistent with the behaviour on a physical device. eg. iPhone Xs returns as “iPhone11,2” on both a phone and simulator. Currently the simulator returns “iPhone Xs”.

Cheers, Jeff