Get low-leap timecode in standalone

Hey Guys,

at the moment im working on a playlist, like in pro-tools, where the user can import sound files and play them/move them on the timeline by dragging with the mouse.

when i run the plugin in standalone-mode, i need a timecode to let my playbackEngine know the actuall playtime. My first approach was to use atomic doubles and calculate the passed time in the process block by adding 1/f every cycle, but if a high blocksize is choosen, the time leaps are to high(e.g. 46ms for blocksize 2048/44100)
So i changed it and made a timer class with the chrono high_resolution_clock, wich works like a stopwatch. this works fine to get the current position, but strictly speaking, my stopwatch and the processBlock are not synced now.

Since the high_resolution_clock is very accurate, my question now is, how accurate gets the processBlock called time-wise? In my understanding, in the first place it gets called through the soundcard, wich has an own clock for this and should be very precise.

Another option would be making a hybrid between both methods and sync the stopwatch after every block, but is this relly necessery?

Sorry, if this is a really basic question, but I am new to audio-programming.

I believe the most accurate time will come from counting samples.

The ONLY accurate time comes from counting samples!

Don’t ever make any assumptions about when your process method will be called, hosts do offline rendering at non-realtime speeds.

Ok, thanks. Same goes for Standalone-mode? because for VST in host mode i will use the Playhead.

Just stick to counting samples. In a standalone app you might need to generate your own playhead times, but do it by counting samples.

Ok

the main reason i want the clockValues to be smooth is so that the timline-cursor in the GUI doesnt leap. Is the LinearSmoothedValue-Class appropriate for this purpose?