GlyphCache could use an optimized read write lock

The juce::ReadWriteLock is great as a general purpose lock and certainly has its place in a library. But the usage pattern of the ReadWriteLock used in GlyphCache is perfectly suited for the implementation I provided in VFLib which has a lot of restrictions, but incredible performance. Its optimized for many readers, infrequent writers, and doesn’t have to maintain any sort of thread list. In fact, compare the code for enterRead():

vf::ReadWriteMutex::enterRead()

void ReadWriteMutex::enterRead () const noexcept {
  for (;;) {
    ++m_readers;
    if (m_writers>0)
    {
      --m_readers;

CriticalSection::ScopedLockType lock (m_mutex);
    }
    else
      break;
  }
}

Acquiring a read lock in the fast path is one atomic increment and one integer comparison. Now compare:

juce::ReadWriteLock::enterRead()

void ReadWriteLock::enterRead() const noexcept
{
    const Thread::ThreadID threadId = Thread::getCurrentThreadId();
    const SpinLock::ScopedLockType sl (accessLock);

for (;;)
    {
        jassert (readerThreads.size() % 2 == 0);

int i;
        for (i = 0; i < readerThreads.size(); i += 2)
            if (readerThreads.getUnchecked(i) == threadId)
                break;

if (i < readerThreads.size()
              || numWriters + numWaitingWriters == 0
              || (threadId == writerThreadId && numWriters > 0))
        {
            if (i < readerThreads.size())
            {
                readerThreads.set (i + 1, (Thread::ThreadID) (1 + (pointer_sized_int) readerThreads.getUnchecked (i + 1)));
            }
            else
            {
                readerThreads.add (threadId);
                readerThreads.add ((Thread::ThreadID) 1);
            }

return;
        }

const SpinLock::ScopedUnlockType ul (accessLock);
        waitEvent.wait (100);
    }
}

Also, correct me if I am wrong but when a juce::Array goes from numUsed == 1 to numUsed == 0 it always calls “minimiseStorageOverheads()” which frees the array:

if ((numUsed << 1) < data.numAllocated)
            minimiseStorageOverheads();

I’m not complaining - the Juce code works, and I haven’t profiled to determine if this is even a problem. But I just wanted to point out that every call to drawGlyph causes an extra memory allocation and deallocation when it doesn’t have to.

Yes, in that code the ReadWriteLock is probably overkill, as it doesn’t need to be able to handle recursion correctly. Probably the “correct” way to do this would be to make the ReadWriteLock templated with policy classes to enable options like safe recursion (which I think is the only reason it needs the thread-list). I don’t have time to do that right now, but I’ll certainly do a quick hack to avoid that unnecessary alloc/free in the array, thanks!

I love it when you talk dirty.

But yeah, I don’t support recursion or upgrading from read to write (that would require a list).