Have to click into component to make keyboard shortcuts work

Hi,

I added keyboard shortcuts to my JUCE application via an ApplicationCommandManager - but they only work after clicking into the component once.

How can I make the components react to keyboard shortcuts without the need to first click into the component?

Thanks for your help,
Dietrich

PS: I tried to add setWantsKeyboardFocus(true) and grabKeyboardFocus() to the components in all kind of permutations, but it didn’t solve the problem.

Two misunderstandings that people make about grabKeyboardFocus are:

• Calling it before your component is actually on-screen. Unless the component and all its parents are visible and their window actually exists, then they can’t have focus.

• Expecting it to work when the actual app doesn’t have focus. Certainly in some debuggers I find that when your app launches, it can’t get focus until the user clicks it. That’s an OS behaviour, not something you can change in the program.

Hi Jules,

Thank you very much for your answer!

Calling it before your component is actually on-screen. Unless the component and all its parents are visible and their window actually exists, then they can’t have focus.

Where would I do that? Is there some hook which gets called when all parents are visible and where I could put my call to grabKeyboardFocus()?

I tried all kind of different positions to call grabKeyboardFocus() - in the constructor of the component, after calling addAndMakeVisible(), after calling resized(), …

Expecting it to work when the actual app doesn’t have focus. Certainly in some debuggers I find that when your app launches, it can’t get focus until the user clicks it. That’s an OS behaviour, not something you can change in the program.

That is what I thought as well. But the shortcut Cmd-Q added by

menu.addCommandItem(commandManager, StandardApplicationCommandIDs::quit);

works. So the application seems to have focus. (Of course, it could be that this is actually a shortcut of Xcode to terminate the program :slight_smile:

Thanks again,

Dietrich

This is a very useful bit of information that would make a nice addition to the doc for the grabKeyboardFocus() method.

Also, why not add an assertion inside it to warn people when its invocation will have no effect? Something like:

/* If you hit this, the Component is not showing on screen yet, thus it cannot get focus.
The net result is that this call to grabKeyboardFocus() will have no effect */
jassert (isShowing());

That’s a really good idea! It does seem to be something that often confuses people.