Internal/External sequencer using MIDI clock/events

Hi,

I don’t know if this is on topic with Audio plugins but I was wondering if any of you could point me to or have any information on how I could prototype a simple sequencer that could use a host clock but at the same time be used externally(from a DAW) and use it’s own MIDI clock.

I am pretty sure this is probably like, oh there is a lot to figure out but just any suggestions on where to get started or what to read would be great.

I have quite a bit of experience with MIDI and it’s messages but the clocking is new to me and how to implement it while still using the same code that could run in a DAW as a plugin.

So you want a MIDI device/object to run as both a master and a slave at the same time?

Well not at the same time, I would like to use the same sequencer model with the master clock of a DAW and then have the ability to generate a master clock that uses that same sequencer model for a standalone app.

So this could be a standalone sequencer or a plugin that used the DAWs master clock. Or say I wanted to make a simple Android app that generated a master clock and was a simple step sequencer.

1 Like