iOS 6 multi channel audio support in JUCE

Hi all. What is the current state of multi channel audio routing support in JUCE? Also, has anyone had any luck getting more the 2 channels of audio input via USB?

Hi,
afaik JUCE currently supports 2 inputs + 2 outputs only. In fact, you can clearly see that by taking a look at juce_ios_Audio.cpp.
However, I was able to implement multichannel support with a couple of days work.
I can’t give you the sources, but you can take the wrapper for CoreAudio as a good starting point.

Thanks for the response. Are you saying that you’ve achieved >2 channel input using a USB device?

Yes I did. The hard part is to debug the code, since the 30 pins/lightning connector must be used to connect the usb hardware.
Also, apple’s code is a mess when you try to handle every possible scenario regarding AudioSession (e.g. what happens if somebody calls your phone while your app is running? And so on…)
I tested it using a lexicon omega connected via the camera connection kit, so far it’s working fine.
You should start by creating your own custom AudioIODevice, you can then tell the AudioDeviceManager to use that instead of the standard iOSAudioIODevice.

You did this on an iPhone / iPod touch? When I connect the camera connection kit under iOS 6 using one of these devices it tells me that the device is not supported. Are you saying that it works on an iPhone with the Omega connected?

In this project, I’m making a device that will only ever be used internally as an R&D tool for early stage hardware development. (Joyfully) I don’t have to worry about all the use cases.

Sounds logical. Thanks. I’ll acquire an OMEGA (they look like a nice low-cost toy for the purpose) to get testing ASAP if you confirm you can do this on an iPhone / iPod touch and not just iPad. If this works, then I’ll build something more compact around a USB to I2S interface…

Uh, no sorry, my bad. I meant on the iPad. Sadly the camera connection kit seems to work on iPads only.

It is an infuriating, and seemingly unnecessary limitation for us audio folk. Thanks for confirming that it at least works with iPads. It gives me another option to consider. There is always the jailbreak option, but it is something I really don’t want to have to ask even a small user group to do.