Issues with M1

What’s odd about it, I’ve just tested Big Sur with Logic on an Intel machine. and it doesn’t sandbox. so Logic is doing things different on Apple Silicon…

2 Likes

agreed. i can understand sandboxing the intel plugins, but I’m surprised they’ve done this for the ARM ones. definitely causing me some issues with some plugins and all I get is the “unstable” dialog with no indication as to what is causing the problem.

We have a similar issue, any update?

No, other than the fact it’s something to do with sandboxing.

I fixed some problems as I said in some plugins by removing some timed calls to wait events - looks like the sandboxing process has a fairly strict requirement on plugins blocking on load maybe?

I’m going to raise a ticket with code level support tomorrow as I’m out of ideas as for the other issues. I’ll report back what I find.

Thanks Leehu !

This has now been raised as a bug with Apple support. Don’t hold your breath…

I do see this in the console log:

Which only appears when the plugin fails to load, which I’m guessing means that the hosting process has failed to start or has crashed.
Unless there’s any way we can mimic this situation, I can’t see that there’s any way for us to investigate.

Something to try (I probably will try when I get to it): Run Logic with a custom DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH environment variable, which points to a user path first, where you put a modified AudioToolbox.framework with a AUHostingServiceXPC.xpc which allows debugging?

Any updates on this issue? I’m hitting it myself now in Logic Pro X when compiling on M1 with Native Architecture enabled (JUCE 6.0.7).

nothing back from Apple unfortunately. Haven’t tested on the .2 release yet - have you?

Edit: Just checked - been a month since I raised the ticket… not a peep.

Looks like I may have got ahead of myself a bit. The default JUCE plugin template builds and runs fine in Logic so it appears to be caused by something in my own code.

One other thing. Breakpoints aren’t working for me in the JUCE plugin…

1 Like

No, Logic 10.6.1 here.

yes, agreed it’s our code… the problem is tracking it down as we’ve no assistance in what is causing the error and no info from Apple… Other than starting from scratch and adding stuff bit by bit until it breaks, there’s not alot to do currently. Which, incidentally, is what I’ll be doing in another couple of weeks if Apple don’t get back.

sorry, I meant Big Sur .2

Ahh… I’m on Big Sur 11.2.1.

As @olilarkin suggested you can overcome this by disabling SIP temporarily (for re-signing or debug). But to be honest that’s a regression. I guess best we can do is try contacting Apple getting this on their radar and prioritized.

1 Like

Sorry if I’m stating the obvious, but isn’t there a crash report for the AUHostingServiceXPC application in Console.app ? That’s what helped me figure why my arm64 au plugin was not working in Logic.

1 Like

No, this is all we get:

Good call. Crash reports! I’m up and running in Logic now albeit without breakpoints.

as above…