Juce running on Raspbian (Raspberry pi)

Hi,
I’m new to Juce and Raspberry devices, I was thinking on building a device based on this platform. I do not have much experience developing Linux applications tho. How difficult is to run/compile a standalone JUCE app on Linux(NO GUI, or Basic one)?, are there any dependencies / known issues? Is JUCE a good alternative for the Raspberry pi or should I try other Audio Libraries?.

Thanks

JUCE is an excellent choice. I can’t personally comment on any dependencies or issues as I’ve not had a play with a Pi myself, but I’ve seen the Equator engine (exactly the same one that powers ROLI’s Equator synth) running flawlessly.

This post is a good starting point:

2 Likes

Equator looks super nice!, I guess it is better to start with the simple tutorials and then try creating an Audio Application project or even a Console app in my case cause i might not need UI for now.

I recommend Ubuntu Mate over Raspbian for a Linux distribution on the Pi. With Ubuntu Mate, plug and play just works with USB audio devices. You also get Armv7 instructions. I ported Tracktion to the Raspberry Pi and it was relatively painless.

5 Likes

I’ll give a try to the tutorials first on my mac and then try to port those examples to linux

On JUCE 5.3.2, since the sample project “extras/AudioPluginHost” has configuration LADSPA enabled, compile error occurs with the message “ladspa.h not found”.
In order to solve the above problem, I ran the following command.

$ sudo apt-get install ladspa-sdk

Therefore, I recommend the installation command like below.

$ sudo apt-get install clang freeglut3-dev g++ libasound2-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev libfreetype6-dev libjack-jackd2-dev libx11-dev libxcomposite-dev libxcursor-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev mesa-common-dev webkit2gtk-4.0 ladspa-sdk

1 Like