Juce / zlib - linking problem on Mac

Hi Jules,

Had a real problem there building my Mac projects with the latest Juce. :slight_smile:

The problem is that I use some of my own code that links-in to the zlib library. My code couldn’t see all the symbols it needed in the zlib library.

The way that the Mac Juce project builds this in the latest system, is via some #included code in juce_GZIP*.cpp

The only way I could find to get my code to link with this, was to break this code out and directly list the zlib .c files in the project and without the zlibNamespace stuff.

Anyways, thought you should know!

With best wishes,

Pete

That’s annoying - I used the zlibNamespace stuff to try to avoid clashes with linked versions of the lib…

Hi Jules … I figured as much. :slight_smile:

My 2 cents is that as so many apps link-in the zlib code (or lib png, for another example), it isn’t worth trying to avoid problems with such “industry standard” libraries. :slight_smile:

So, my suggestion would be to revert to the older way you linked-in these files; whereas it isn’t a problem on win32, it is on Mac, and others are bound to encounter the same problem. Anyways, just my 2 cents…

BTW: great to see your Cocoa work coming on so well. :slight_smile:

Mixtikl is now in Alpha BTW, will be Beta in a week or 2 and then released 3-4 weeks after that I hope. Mac / Win versions use Juce, the Windows Mobile variants use my own platform abstraction layer. If you ever do an iPhone and/or Symbian Series 60 version, natrually I’d be very pleased to try them. 8)

With best wishes,

Pete

Sounds like photon’s suggestion would sort you out:
http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/juceforum/viewtopic.php?p=17679#17679

Hi Jules,

Yeah, that sounds like it could work. :slight_smile:

Are you going to implement this at some point in the build…?

Pete