Latency compensation in AU vs VST in Live?

Hello Jucers!

I am encountering an issue that suprises me a little bit I must say ; I have a plug-in with dynamic latent compensation, that I call with the setLatencySamples() method. I am really surprised because, in Ableton Live, the plugin latency stays fixed at 0 with the VST plug-in ; AU works though, and Reaper is also correctly updated (on both Windows & Mac). It seems quite strange, am I missing some step here?

Thanks a lot!

I’m wondering is it also broken for you in Ableton on Windows, not just Mac?
I haven’t tested latency for years. I just remember Ableton used to be able to set it at any time, so as a hunch, if you put a break point on the setLatencySamples function, is it being called only once where you expect to be?
I presume you’re only setting it in prepareToPlay()? I believe some host ignore it if it’s not.

Live has problems updating the correcting latency with VST2 under certain circumstances.

Apparently it works correct with VST3 and AudioUnits.

From your description, it isn’t clear whether your VST+AU test was on the same system. If it wasn’t, at the risk of pointing out something too obvious, Live does allow you to disable delay compensation. So worth checking whether that was switched off on the VST machine.

Ok, I found the problem : Ableton Live actually does not handle prepareToPlay() the same way between AUs and VST3s. In AUs prepareToPlay() is called one at the beginning, while the same function is being can be called regularly during a lifetime with the VST3.

Thank you all!