List of Juce dependencies under linux

Perhaps you could add sudo apt-get install ladspa-sdk to this list?
I always come here when I create a new Linux VM and always forget ladspa until after a lengthy build!

dave96

the dependencies listed here only are the bare minimum for the base modules of any JUCE program - there are of course others that are needed only with certain additional modules - it would be nice to itemize them all in a table someday

1 Like

If you are using the WebBrowserComponent in juce_gui_extra then youā€™ll need to add webkit2gtk-4.0 and gtk+-x11-3.0 to the list.

Would be cool if there was a better way to manage this, like JUCE providing a folder with scripts in the repository that install all of the necessary libs for the distributions.

3 Likes

+1 great idea @jrlanglois

ā€¦or at least an up-to-date text file in the repo would be a startā€¦
It is always nasty to search the forum for the most accurate list (I think to remember, that there were at least 3 threads with different lists and a long history to catch up each time)

1 Like

At the bare minimum, sureā€¦ I went straight for suggesting a script because this post, amongst others, already have a bash script going on:

Might as well go the whole way imo.

1 Like

@daniel

no need to search - thats why this thread was made sticky and i asked fabian to remove ā€œubuntuā€ from the original title so that other distros could be consolidated here and not scattered about

1 Like

For Raspberry Pi - no luck compiling in 5.01, had to roll back to 4.3.

Seems to work fine for me:

apt-get install clang freeglut3-dev g++ libasound2-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev libfreetype6-dev libjack-jackd2-dev libx11-dev libxcomposite-dev libxcursor-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev mesa-common-dev webkit2gtk-4.0
cd JUCE/extras/Projucer/Builds/LinuxMakefile
make CXX=clang++ -j4
6 Likes

For the lazy, quick list update for a fresh OS installation:

sudo apt-get install clang git ladspa-sdk freeglut3-dev g++ libasound2-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev libfreetype6-dev libjack-jackd2-dev libx11-dev libxcomposite-dev libxcursor-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev mesa-common-dev webkit2gtk-4.0 juce-tools
5 Likes

Whatā€™s that?

Wish I could give you a better answer, but I have no idea. For whatever reason, it was something that came up as needed during the process of building the Projucer.

Is it normal that when running the Linux Makefile that it takes over an hour to compile the jucer_MainWindow.cpp? Itā€™s been running for 63 minutes and still going.

Compiling the Projucer can take a relatively long time but over an hour sounds like thereā€™s some problem.

How did you invoke make? Did you use the -j option to do parallel execution?

I did, I ran the exact same commands as @fabian with :-

Iā€™m trying to run it on a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B using Raspbian Stretch.

Iā€™ve managed to run one of the Juce Demos (The Midi test one) on the Pi which took a while to compile but did manage to run - an issue there however was that no Midi inputs were recognised, not sure if I have to change the code to switch from Mac OSX core Midi API to Linux ALSA API but at least the Gui looked nice! Thanks for your reply by the way!

JUCE should list all the midi devices by default. It uses ALSA under the hood so check if ALSA is actually recognising your midi device:

amidi -l

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/artful/man1/amidi.1.html

juce-tools was the one thing in that list not in the distro repo (Mint 18.3) i donā€™t know what itā€™s for or how to get it or if it matters.

I managed to build the projucer in GPL mode without it, but iā€™m not sure if itā€™s working right or notā€¦

I keep getting this: (Projucer:15557): Gtk-WARNING **: 08:46:18.287: GtkPlug only works under X11