LLVM ERROR: SmallVector unable to grow

Anyone ever seen this error? I’m seeing it on the linking step of release builds for a product. Feels like an end of world moment :dotted_line_face:

LLVM ERROR: SmallVector unable to grow. Requested capacity (4294967296) is larger than maximum value for size type (4294967295)

clang: error: unable to execute command: Abort trap: 6
clang: error: linker command failed due to signal (use -v to see invocation)
Command Ld failed with a nonzero exit code

Welp – it appears a teammate can still compile on release so I think I’ll simply throw away my computer :upside_down_face:

Are you using the latest develop? I fixed something like this recently:

Scratch that – the other teammate was building on M1 where it didn’t occur – this is happening on Intel. – we tried on multiple intel machines and it happens on both.

I’ll try development now @reuk thanks for your reply. Out of curiosity – how were you even able to trace it back to this being potentially where the issue was?

In all my time coding I have never seen such an opaque error which such little feedback, it provide zero information on where the issue may be coming from.

We knew that some builds were passing and some were failing on our CI, so we could begin by looking at the differences between the working and failing builds. We discovered that the failing ones included the juce_dsp module. From there, we tried commenting out most of the module, and then slowly adding includes back in. It took quite a long time…

Once we were pretty sure what the problem was, we tried out the same function/compiler combination in Compiler Explorer to check that we got the same crash on a ‘clean’ system.

1 Like

Oh my god – thank the lord you saw this first :joy:

– Will report back today thank you!

Thank you – saved my life –

I didn’t end up checking out development as I don’t want to test all the other changes that have occurred there, but your PR pointed me to some code which was recently modified to use the SIMDRegisters – I switched back to standard loops for the time being with the option to turn it on when this goes into master.

That resolved it – would’ve taken me so so long to find! What a scary error! You the best