Mixing C++ and Obj-C Pointer?

Sorry - I feel this was covered, but…

I have an Obj-C library. I’m making an Obj-C++ class to wrap it, but it feels like I need two headers? A C++ header for the users, and an Obj-C header for the library? The basics are fine, but I need delegates, so I feel like it’s at least two classes too?

Any juce classes that show a basic use of a good pattern to handle this?

Bruce

Sorry - no-one can spare me a quick tip? I understand I need two headers, one for the C++ Juce stuff to use, one for the Obj-C++ main file to use, but I’m sure there’s a best practice?

Bruce

I don’t think it is a matter of not wanting to help. The question itself is pretty broad. The best examples of wrapping Objective C funtionality in C++ are probably Juce itself. iOS and Mac are ObjC native environments and Juce places a wrapper around them.

As a non Juce example, this:

From aiit does something similiar. He wraps the existing iOS image picker in C++.

Best practice probably depends on what you are out to accomplish. Juce is multi-platform, so those practices are geared towards invoking ObjC under a virtualized C++ wrapper. I didn’t look closely at aiit’s wrapper, but I guess he wants to access a platform specific control in a general Juce way for easier and more consistant UI code.

Another case might be ‘I have an obj C library I don’t plan on duplicating the functionality on other platforms’. In that case, best practice might be to, well, just call it (though it would still make sense to add #ifdef JUCE_xxx wrappers around it so that you could duplicate the missing functionality on other platofrms down the road).

Good luck

Thanks for jumping in. I’ll look at that link. I have a whole bunch of Cross platform and Obj-C code, so I’m fine with a lot, but I was hoping for something like:

Make a C header with C/C++ only definitions,

Make an obj-C header that extends it (imports it? This is where I get fuzzy),

Make an Obj-C++ file to implement the whole class.

Or just which/any juce class that follows a useful formula to do that.

Bruce

I’m really struggling to understand your question!

It’s just the context in which you include the header that matters. If you’re planning on including this header in a .m file then, you can’t put any C++ in it. If you’re going to include it in a .cpp then you can’t put any obj-C in it. And if you’re going to include it in a .mm then you can put anything you want in there.

So I need two header files, right?

My simpler question is, how do I decide what to put in the Obj-C++ header file, and what in the C++ only header file?

Should I make one class that handles the needs of obj-C (it’s a delegate etc.) and C++, or make an Obj-C friendly class that calls back to a C++ parent instance?

Does that make more sense?

To fill you in - I have an Objective C++ SDK - the RedPark iOS serial dongle, and I need to use it from my C++ app/s. I suppose raw pointers and casts would let me bodge it, but I think there’s probably an approach that works best with Juce.

Bruce

Personally, I’d publish a header with a C++ interface for it, then implement that wrapper class in a .mm file where you can include their header.

The solution that minimizes both the total number of lines of Objective-C and the number of public Objective-C interfaces is the “best” one. Ideally, the number of public Objective-C interfaces is equal to zero, as Jules suggested.

OK, so one .h file and one .mm? And I would need to define my Obj-C class in the .mm file (so it can be a delegate etc.).

Does that sound right?

(this is the sort of info I was looking for, btw).

Bruce

Here is how I did it. I am sure it can be done easier.

I assume you want to create a cross-plattform class that can be consumed by both c++ and objective-c where parts have a plattform dependend implementation and parts have a plattform independend implementation.

The public C++ interface clients will consume is declared in Resource.h:

class Resources { public: static File ResourcePathFromName(const String& name); };

In a file named Resources_ios.mm implement the ResourcePathFromName method for the iOS plattform using any Objective-C classes from Apples SDKs you need. Include this file in your Xcode project.

In a file named Resources_win32.mm implement ResourcePathFromName for the windows plattform using for example the Windows-API. Include this file in your Visual Studio project.

Common implementation if you have one can be put in a file named Resources.cpp. Include both files, Resources.h and Resources.cpp in your Visual Studio and Xcode project.

Consuming the Resources class in C++ from Visual Studio is easy. We exposed a C++ interface so we can use it by simply including it when needed. Consuming from Objective-C++ with Xcode works the same way. Simply include it where you need the functionality. Objective-C++ are the files ending with .mm . Consuming from Objective-C is not possible. Objective-C are the files ending with .m . .m files can only consume Objective-C or pure C and we created a C++ interface.

Hope that helped a bit.

Patrick

Make that Resources_win32.cpp, sorry about that.

Patrick