Mouse bounds different from drawing bounds?

Is it possible to set the bounds for a mouse click to something different (smaller) than the bounds for drawing a component? I’d like to be able to have a knob of button with a glow or highlight outside the button/knob/slider click area. Do I have to relegate that glow/highlight to the parent of my button/knob/slider, or is there a way to have different bounds for drawing versus clicking? Currently, I have artwork for the components that has a transparent area around the actual component, and draw my glow/highlight there, but that allows users to click on the glowing/highlighted area to operate the control, which is not what I really want in some cases. It looks like I need a parent component that is larger than the control that contains the control itself, and have that parent redraw the highlight/glow as needed. Is that correct?

You can check also in MouseEvent what are mouse coordinates and do nothing when they are outside required area.

1 Like

Override hitTest, this gives you a circular area where the knob/slider/button reacts to the mouse:

bool hitTest(int x, int y) override
    {
        x = x - cX;
        y = y - cY;
        auto dist = sqrt(x * x + y * y);
        return (dist < limit);
    }

and I add another method

void setHitArea(const int x, const int y, const float max)
    {
        cX = x;
        cY = y;
        limit = max;
    }
2 Likes

N.B. point has nice methods for that:

Point<float> centre;
float limit = 0;

void setHitArea (Point<float> p, const float max)
{
    centre = p;
    limit = max;
}

bool hitTest(int x, int y) override
{
    return centre.getDistanceFrom ({x, y}) < limit;
}
2 Likes

Great responses, friends! Will implement that hit test stuff for sure! Exactly what I needed.