Newbie question about non-modal dialogs

I am pretty new to the whole juce stuff and i want to thank jules for the whole bunch of work he did.

And here comes the question: what is the right way to show non-modal dialog? I want, that some settings dialogs sit in their own windows and do not block the main window. What i did:

• wrote content component with jucer
  • instantiated my container from DialogWindow (is it the correct class for this? or would DocumentWindow be more appropriate?
  • in my container window, implemented:
    – Constructor
  LightEditComponent *lec = new LightEditComponent();
  setContentComponent((Component*)lec, true, true);
  setVisible(true);
  setOpaque(true);
  setResizable(false, false);

and closeButtonPressed():

delete this;
  • when in content component exit button is pressed (i have a couple of buttons in there), i call
DialogWindow* parent = (DialogWindow*)getParentComponent();
parent->closeButtonPressed()

is it a correct way to close and delete this dialog?
There is also a problem: i open my dialogs through “bool perform(const InvocationInfo& info)” of my main window, i. e. i have:

bool MainWindow::perform(const InvocationInfo& info) {
  switch(info.commandID) {
  // blabla...
  case editLightEdit: {
    LightEditDialog* dialog = new LightEditDialog(params);
    break;
  }
  default:
    return false;
  }
  return true;
}

and when i open one of the dialogs, all menu entries are colored grey (i cannot click them). When i close the dialog, all menu entries are enabled again. What could be the cause of this?

That all looks good to me.

The menu items will be grey if the ApplicationCommandManager can’t find a suitable command target to perform them. By default it examines the currently focused window to try to find a command target, so if you need it to do something smarter, like actually use a particular window as the target, you might need to override ApplicationCommandManager::getFirstCommandTarget() to explicitly tell it where to send the command.

[quote=“jules”]That all looks good to me.

The menu items will be grey if the ApplicationCommandManager can’t find a suitable command target to perform them. By default it examines the currently focused window to try to find a command target, so if you need it to do something smarter, like actually use a particular window as the target, you might need to override ApplicationCommandManager::getFirstCommandTarget() to explicitly tell it where to send the command.[/quote]

thanks, setting commandManager->setFirstCommandTarget(this); in MainWindow solved the menu problem.