openGL limitations

Hey Jules -

How hard would it be to allow multiple openGL contexts in one application?  

It occurs to me if they overlap, or if one is the child of another, then it's probably more like sub-contexts.I love attaching a context to my topLevelWindow, but then want to somehow use canvases inside various views/components.

Any chance that is coming soon?

Also - is this limitation related to our inability to use openGL inside plugins?  For that matter, does that limitation still exist?  I haven't looked in a while, but I know that openGL canvases inside plugin UI used to cause major issues.

Anyway, just curious, not trying to rush you.  All the progress lately has been amazing, keep up the good work!

Very much on my to-do-list and not super-difficult..

Also - is this limitation related to our inability to use openGL inside plugins?  For that matter, does that limitation still exist?  I haven't looked in a while, but I know that openGL canvases inside plugin UI used to cause major issues.

Huh? Works fine here

Oh good, I'll try it again then.

Thanks guys!  Can't wait to try multiple canvases.

To clarify a bit, i only used it on the top level component.. No idea how it works for sub / unrelated components

Ok, looks like openGL canvases also work fine in plugins now ... EXCEPT ... that you can have multiple instances of a plugin, in which case we have major problems because we still can't have multiple GL context/canvases.

Any progress on this Jules?  I guess I havent pulled in a couple weeks, so I should update and see.

Either way, let me know if you added multiple context functionality yet and I'll give it a test.

OOoooo ... actually, looks like this may have gotten added lately.

Multiple canvases in multiple windows ... check.

Multiple canvases in same window .. check.

Canvases inside topLevelComponents with contexts attached ...... testing.

Thanks Jules!

Old thread, but this last part doesn’t really work yet, does it? I can successfully put an OpenGLContext on top of another OpenGLContext on macOS, but not on Windows. Only the parent context will be shown.

Will this be fixed, or is it more likely that the improvement will rather be that we can have several child renderers in the same context?

It’s on the backlog, but sadly haven’t got around to it yet…