PopupMenu::Item::CustomComponent

How exactly do I get this to show up in a menu when not using PopupMenu::addCustomItem( );

I’m having no luck with the following:

class ColorTeaser : public juce::PopupMenu::CustomComponent
{
public:
    ColorTeaser(const juce::Colour& c) : color(c) { }
    ~ColorTeaser() {}
 void paint(Graphics& g) override
{
    DBG( "ColorTeaser::paint()" ); //this never gets called
    g.fillAll(color);
    g.setColour(Colours::black);
    g.drawRect(0, 0, getWidth(), getHeight(), 3);
}
    //this also never gets called
    void getIdealSize(int &idealWidth, int &idealHeight) override { idealWidth = 20; idealHeight = 20; } 
private:
    juce::Colour color;
};
juce::PopupMenu::Item noteOnColor;
    noteOnColor.commandManager = commandManager;
    noteOnColor.customComponent = new ColorTeaser(pianoRoll.getKeyboard().findColour(MatkatMusic::ExtendedMidiKeyboardComponent::ColourIds::keyDownOverlayColourId));
    noteOnColor.itemID = (int) commands->commandNoteOnColor;
    noteOnColor.text = commandManager->getCommandForID (commands->commandNoteOnColor)->shortName;
    menu.addItem(noteOnColor);

The menu item shows up and functions correctly, but that ColorTeaser component just won’t appear in the menu!! It’s driving me bonkers!!

edit:
Ok, it turns out that if you’re using setMacMainMenu(), you can’t have custom items in your menus. That should definitely be in the documentation for PopupMenu::addCustomItem(), etc…

OK a fix to the documentation will appear on develop.

We actually got the custom components working in the MacMainMenu. It was quite a bit of a task though and had to change quite a bit of the MacMainMenu code. We would appreciate it if JUCE would support it because it’s perfectly possible.

i suppose if you shared your solution, they’d add it…

Who owns the CustomComponent if it’s assigned via:
item.customComponent = new MyCustomComponent();
?
There’s nothing in the documentation that says who owns it. I’m not familiar with ReferenceCountedObjectPtr<CustomComponent> enough to know if the PopupMenu::Item owns it upon that assignment.

edit:
Figured it out
Some documentation for PopupMenu::Item would be nice that explains that if you use a CustomComponent, the item.text will not be displayed for that item.