Problem with spaces in JSON identifier

Spaces in JSON identifiers are valid JSON i.e.

{
    "my colour":"Green"
}

When parsing such JSON with the function in juce_JSON, I hit the breakpoint . . .

Identifier::Identifier (const String& nm) : name (Identifier::getPool().getPooledString (nm)) { /* An Identifier string must be suitable for use as a script variable or XML attribute, so it can only contain this limited set of characters.. */ jassert (isValidIdentifier (nm)); }

So I understand that JUCE Identifiers do not like whitespace characters, but this leaves me a little stuck if someone tries to load up a JSON string containing a whitespace in the identifier. How about considering adding an underscore to the identifier when one is discovered when parsing JSON, or alternatively returning a warning in the Result class when using syntax in the form . .

Thanks!

That is a bit tricky, but since the same Identifier class is used for XML and other things that don’t allow a space, I’d rather not remove the assertion. You can of course just ignore it: the class will work just fine with spaces. Hmm. Not sure what’s best there, will have a think.

Hmmm, I see that now. If I just continue from the break, I can see that the whitespace character is preserved when I convert the identifier to a string. This begs the question: why is the assertion in the iIdentifier class, and not the classes where a whitespace is illegal such as when writing XML? Thanks for the prompt response!

I’ve changed it now. I’ve left the assertion in there only if you’re creating it from a const char* (i.e. if you’ve got a literal in your code), but not for a string, in which case it’s up to the caller to do any checking that’s needed.

I am having the same problem with / and . in the json.

I am using JSON::fromString but it still hits the breakpoint.

Yeah, fair point. I've removed those assertions now, as there's already some checking in XmlElement for illegal names, and that's where this kind of thing really matters.