I am developing a few UI Components for simple data visualisation (scopes, FFT etc.); as they are constantly redrawn performance is important and I’m looking for ways to profile various metrics. XCode’s Instrument is my tool of choice for the moment but I find it a bit cumbersome and not so informative. Plus, I’m willing to instrument my code.
Just OTOH here are a few pieces of info I’d be looking for :
- global pressure on the GUI thread + dropped frames
- local (one component) and cumulative (+ all children) :
- paint time average
- paint time variance/max (are some frames more expensive to compute than others?)
- What are the general techniques people use to profile and optimize UI code?
- Which JUCE functions are entry points to time paints? For instance, is all the (local) painting work done synchronously in the
- Any tool, metrics or concepts I might have missed?
Thanks in advance!