Range::contains() method

Just found out (the hard way :), that when using Range::contains() method, end of range is considered to be exclusive. For example, if i define range from 1 to 10, then 10 is not considered to be inside this range, which is not really true.

Any idea why is this so ??

0 Likes

Why is that not really true? I depends on how you define your range, and in the JUCE case the docs state that the end value is exclusive.

0 Likes

There’s no right or wrong way to define inclusivity, but the way we do it is by far the most common use-case for it.

I think the fact that none of us ever bothered to add a “containsInclusive” method says a lot about how rarely that tends to be needed in real situations.

0 Likes

I think when someone asks “Give me a number between 1 and 10”, only a pedant would exclude the numbers 1 and 10. So here lies the problem; it’s more about language, and the default understanding is that it’s inclusive. Of course if people don’t read the documentation fully then that’s a different story altogether. :smiley:

0 Likes

If there is a queue with 10 elements and you are element 10 - are you inside this queue ?? Of course you are. Or maybe not ?? :slight_smile:

Why would i need to define range with eleven elements, when 11th is not there??

0 Likes

Not if you use zero-based indexing, as C++ does.

0 Likes

I understand - it is not really a rocket science, but if class is there, why not use it…

0 Likes

It seems that you are confusing range with container. For instance, a std::vector v with 3 elements inside it has a size of 3, and I can access the third element by doing *(v.begin() + 3), but if I want to copy that whole vector, I might use the iterator range that represents it all, which is {v.begin(), v.end()}. v.end() is not inside the vector, though it is used to represent the range of the vector.

0 Likes

A very common use case are key/velocity ranges in multisamples. The ranges shown in the GUI (note number / velocity) are usually inclusive.

0 Likes

Thx for your help …

So, in practice - lets suppose we have 10 elements defined as range (1,10) …

How would you test in your code, if this range actually contains element 10 ???

Thx!

0 Likes

That’s 9 elements, not 10.

0 Likes

Hmm, is this like general rule for ranges? Why is that 9 elements and not 10? Sorry, i am really not trying to push it, but just want to understand.

Thx!

Edit:
Ok, i see, i have to increase end value for one with all my range objects, and then it should work as expected. Anyway i will add containsinclusive() method and it’s done :slight_smile:

0 Likes

It’s a general rule, probably resulting from early 0 indexed based programming languages. For example in Python range (0, 4) (or just range (4)) will iterate over the values [0, 1, 2, 3]. It’s the same in both Swift and Rust.

1 Like

Ah, ok, thank you for the explanation - everything is perfectly clear now.

Cheers!

0 Likes