Reaper stealing spacebar keystrokes in TextEditor

I have noticed that Reaper on OS X steals spacebar keystrokes when typing into a TextEditor component in my plugin. Pressing spacebar will toggle audio playback in Reaper, even when the TextEditor has focus.

I have observed the same behaviour in a couple of commercial Juce plugins, so I assume that the problem is not unique to me.

I also found a thread in the Reaper forum where someone describes the same problem: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=205497

That thread includes a Reaper-specific solution, but it would be great if it was possible to type spaces into a TextEditor without workarounds.

I haven’t noticed the same behaviour in non-Juce plugins (e.g. u-he’s plugins).

Any ideas?

We observed similar behaviour. Native Instruments plugins and a few others seem to be able to catch the spacebar tough. Would be nice if that could be fixed at some point.

1 Like

Not just spacebar, but Return key too is captured by Reaper unless the “send all key presses” option is enabled (wouldn’t be surprised if there were more). Quite annoying.

Command+v (paste) is another key combo that isn’t passed by Reaper. I notice that Diva, which does capture spacebar and return keypresses, doesn’t capture Command+c & command+v either.

Bumping this. Just ran into this exact same issue today. Any hint?

Thanks!

I think the only way to get the keyboard input is mentioned in that Cockos forum post:

Our plugins check the “Plugin editor requires keyboard focus” option in the Projucer, but still Reaper won’t give us focus by default.

The same applies to Ardour/Mixbus, there is a specific button to toggle whether or not a plugin is explicitly allowed focus or not. This stops plugins from implicitly capturing things like transport shortcuts, but it can be annoying from the plugin dev side as well :slight_smile:

Seems totally to be a host related issue. In the case of REAPER, that’s only with macOS. Everything works fine on Windows. I also checked with the big ones like NI Maschine and its impacted exactly the same way.

This’ll go in our FAQ :wink:

Could be worth asking Cockos about this, though.