Recommended way to set up a multichannel plugin

I’m in the process of porting an audio app that supports up to 4 inputs and outputs to a VST plugin.

Setting JucePlugin_PreferredChannelConfigurations to {4,4} works in the Plugin Host, but not Ableton. So I think I need to set the extra inputs/outputs as sidechain/aux channels.

I’m currently dealing with a crash when loading the plugin in Ableton but would like to know if the following set up is a good workaround to allow a user to route multiple audio channels into the plugin:

static BusesProperties getBusesProperties()
    {
        BusesProperties buses;
        buses.addBus (false, "Stereo Output", AudioChannelSet::stereo());
        buses.addBus (false, "Mono Output", AudioChannelSet::mono());
        buses.addBus (false, "Output 1", AudioChannelSet::mono(), false);
        buses.addBus (false, "Output 2", AudioChannelSet::mono(), false);
        buses.addBus (false, "Output 3", AudioChannelSet::mono(), false);
        buses.addBus (false, "Output 4", AudioChannelSet::mono(), false);

buses.addBus (true, "Stereo Input", AudioChannelSet::stereo());
        buses.addBus (true, "Mono Input", AudioChannelSet::mono());
        buses.addBus (true, "Input 1", AudioChannelSet::mono(), false);
        buses.addBus (true, "Input 2", AudioChannelSet::mono(), false);
        buses.addBus (true, "Input 3", AudioChannelSet::mono(), false);
        buses.addBus (true, "Input 4", AudioChannelSet::mono(), false);

return buses;
    }

Any recommendations for how to set this up? The most important host to support is Ableton Live at the moment.

The above code would add a total number of 7 (=2+1+1+1+1+1) input and 7 output channels. Is this really what you want?

No, I just want 4 channels, but I want to be able to route more than 2 channels in and out of the plugin in Ableton.

In the above code you are creating 6 buses each with a certain amount of channels. All those channels add up. What you really want is just one input and one output bus with 4 channels each. You would only add more than one bus when you need a sidechain or an aux bus.

In your case, the following would work:

class MyAudioProcessor : public AudioProcessor
{
public:
     MyAudioProcessor () 
         : AudioProcessor (BusesProperties().withInput  ("Input",  AudioChannelSet::discreteChannels (4), true)
                                            .withOutput ("Output", AudioChannelSet::discrete (4), true))
     {}

bool isBusesLayoutSupported (const BusesLayout& layouts) const override
     {
           auto numIns  = layouts.getMainInputChannels();
           auto numOuts = layouts.getMainOutputChannels();

// allow any configuration where there are at least 2 channels
           // and the number of inputs equals the number of outputs
           return (numIns >= 2 && numIns == numOuts);
     }
};

The above code assumes that you always want the same number of input and output channels and that the number of channels is between 2 and 4.

You should probably also read through this tutorial:

https://docs.juce.com/master/tutorial_audio_bus_layouts.html

Thanks Fabian I wasn’t aware of that tutorial, I was looking in the forum for info.

OK so this is kind of working, however when attempting to route audio in from another track, the channels are only available in stereo pairs. I guess this is because Ableton does not support mono audio tracks, so any audio routed from a given channel will always be in stereo. So I guess (at least in Ableton) I’ll need to expect 8 input channels and then reduce them to 4 mono channels within the plugin.

UPDATE: That worked :sunglasses:

The AU plugin fails to load with this configuration:

For future reference and for anyone else who might be looking, I figured out what I needed for a 4 mono channel in/out setup:

: AudioProcessor (BusesProperties().withInput  ("Mono In 1",  AudioChannelSet::mono(), true)
                                           .withInput  ("Mono In 2",  AudioChannelSet::mono(), true)
                                           .withInput  ("Mono In 3",  AudioChannelSet::mono(), true)
                                           .withInput  ("Mono In 4",  AudioChannelSet::mono(), true)
                                           .withOutput ("Mono Out 1", AudioChannelSet::mono(), true)
                                           .withOutput ("Mono Out 2", AudioChannelSet::mono(), true)
                                           .withOutput ("Mono Out 3", AudioChannelSet::mono(), true)
                                           .withOutput ("Mono Out 4", AudioChannelSet::mono(), true))

This also works for the AudioUnit version!