Sine Wave question

So I have a question, I have a function sine that returns a float modeled from other sinewave generating algorithms but how does this produce a wave when the method returns a single float? is it because of my time variable I set in startNote?

float oscWaves::sine(float frequency)
{
    if(frequency > TWO_PI)
    {
        frequency = fmodf(frequency, TWO_PI);
    }

return sinf(frequency);
}
 void startNote (int midiNoteNumber, float velocity, SynthesiserSound* sound, int currentPitchWheelPosition) override
    {
        env1.trigger = 1;
        frequency = 0.0;
        level = velocity;
        tailOff = 0.0;

double noteNumber = MidiMessage::getMidiNoteInHertz (midiNoteNumber);
        double phasePerSample = noteNumber / getSampleRate();

time = phasePerSample * 2.0 * double_Pi;
    }

The actual sound generation happens in the renderNextBlock method, startNote just sets up things when a note begins. Your variable “frequency” has a misleading name in the oscWaves::sine function, it should really be called “phase”.

okay so in the renderNextBlock when i’m looping through the number of samples that is when its plotting each float point on the graph to actually construct the wave ? Sorry for the phrasing of this I am trying to get a visual representation.

Assumably you are increasing the “time” member variable inside the loop and giving that to the sine wave function. The result is that a sine wave is produced as the output. (Assuming things have been coded correctly…)

Thank you so much im starting to get it now, so

double cyclesPerSample = noteNumber / getSampleRate();
time = cyclesPerSample * 2.0 * double_Pi;

for time its essentially the duration for however long the note is being hold?